Is the OR your favorite place in the world?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOther

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I often hear/read this saying: "If your favorite place in the world is the OR, choose surgery. If your favorite place in the hospital is the OR, choose anesthesia."

I'm not sure if this applies only to general surgery, but I wanted to ask orthopedic residents/attendings: is the OR your favorite place in the world? And is it ok to say "no" to this question and still be a good/happy ortho surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

The OR is definitely my favorite place (work related). That being said, I also appreciate a low-key day in clinic every once in a while.

I think that if the OR causes you great anxiety, fear, etc. then it probably isn't the right place for you. If you prefer clinic over the OR then committing to a 5+ year residency where most of your time is in the OR is not the right choice for you. Operating and using your hands to accomplish a goal should be damn near your favorite thing to do if you want to commit to a surgical residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The OR is nobody's favorite place "in the world." It is certainly my favorite place... at work. But every orthopaedic surgeon I know, myself included, if given the choice, would rather be in a bar with buddies or at home with their family on any given night. Blanket statements like this aren't usually helpful. I will say that it is accurate to state that if you can live without setting foot in the operating room, you should choose a medical rather than surgical specialty. But beyond that, the amount of time you spend in the operating room, and how you view your free time, is very person dependent. I love the OR much more now, but I am sure that when I have children, I may be annoyed at having to do another hip fracture instead of going home to them in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I appreciate the responses! Thank you for taking the time. I feel the same way about these absolute, blanket statements so I wanted to see the opinions of some actual ortho surgeons out there. I do love the OR and operating (to the extent a med student can) the most when it comes to work-related setting on rotations so far. I plan to explore the other side of the curtain on an upcoming elective month to see if I can live without operating. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 users