Is the ortho job market and future really that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recent grads have any experiences they can share?

Members don't see this ad.

No, not at all. I want to encourage everyone to go on dental town, click on the classifieds tab, click on jobs available and select specialty of choice or general, it will show you job offers and you can even see locations or numbers in general.

Edit: sorry not a grad...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No, not at all. I want to encourage everyone to go on dental town, click on the classifieds tab, click on jobs available and select specialty of choice or general, it will show you job offers and you can even see locations or numbers in general.

Edit: sorry not a grad...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Bump any opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Market is as good as you make it........no such thing as super GP's hogging the ortho market.......

The ortho job market is pretty tough for new orthodontists to be honest. If you are giving serious consideration to choosing a specialty I can give you some advice that may help.

You may want to call up a dental corporation in your area and ask the hiring manager to lunch or coffee. They could probably give you a really good idea of relative compensation for various specialties and their ease or difficulty of filling their positions when they open up. I am guessing that you will find that ortho is paid less than most of the other specialties and positions are filled more quickly.

My second suggestion would be to get in touch with a dental broker who does a lot of transitions in the area you want to live. You could ask them how often practices sell for dentistry vs. different specialties. A seasoned broker has a lot of knowledge about the dental job market.

The last thing you want to do is listen to your dental school classmates who haven't been out working yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. It's so bad that you wont' be able to find ANY job

article from old ortho threads on SDN

Attachments

• Orthodontic - good old days.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 245