Is the path to a DO school different from an MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secants

about:blank
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm sorry if this is one of those repeated questions every n00b asks but I am curious are the requirements to apply to a DO school the same as if one were applying to an MD school? As in same required courses along with taking the MCAT? Also can you apply to both DO and MD schools or is that frowned upon for some reason?

Lastly can an MD school have a DO sub division of some sort or is a DO school a whole separate entity like the other graduate schools? Thanks for taking the time to help me out and if all these are repeated question I'll gladly delete the thread and search harder for the info.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this is one of those repeated questions every n00b asks but I am curious are the requirements to apply to a DO school the same as if one were applying to an MD school? As in same required courses along with taking the MCAT?

They are the same requirements

Also can you apply to both DO and MD schools or is that frowned upon for some reason?

Many people apply to both DO and MD programs. Some schools ask on their secondary if you've applied to MD schools but I think they understand that a student's main goal in the end is to be a physician and they understand if you applied to both.

Lastly can an MD school have a DO sub division of some sort or is a DO school a whole separate entity like the other graduate schools? Thanks for taking the time to help me out and if all these are repeated question I'll gladly delete the thread and search harder for the info.

Thanks

Michigan has a MD and DO school in which both programs are taught concurrently, in the same classroom, for the first 2 years. In addition to that, the DO students have OMM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Hello! Welcome to SDN!:luck:

I am curious are the requirements to apply to a DO school the same as if one were applying to an MD school?

Allopathic schools average around 29-30 MCAT scores

Osteopathic schools go anywhere from 24 - 29. The schools vary. Some go heavy on the EC area.

As in same required courses along with taking the MCAT?

Yes. Some require calculus too, so check to make sure which schools they are when applying.

Also can you apply to both DO and MD schools or is that frowned upon for some reason?

Yes you can apply to both. There is nothing wrong with that.

Lastly can an MD school have a DO sub division of some sort or is a DO school a whole separate entity like the other graduate schools?

Yes, some medical schools are both MD and O schools. Chicago is an example of this. Also UMDNJ is an example of this as well. And maybe Ohio...but I'm not sure about Ohio if they are one school with two branches or just a seperate school.

Other O schools are seperate enitities like Philadelphia, West Virginia.

And others are part of a bigger university system, like New England, or NYCOM.

When applying be sure to check out the nature of the schools. Some schools are public/state schools and will favor residents a great deal. This can work to your advantage or disadvantage depending on what state you live in.

Best of wishes to you. C&C.

just to clarify i believe the chicago school you are reffering to, CCOM, is not an MD granting school...Michigan State is both an MD and DO granting school.