is the process really THIS random?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
he made some of his "story" up?! that's pretty lame if you ask me...

jtank said:
look at this guy: Caucasian, 34S, 3.35gpa, HARVARD!!!!!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3226

Well, not so random -- 4 out of the 5 acceptances (and all of the rejections) he got were pretty consistent with his credentials. If we can believe the mdapplicants post, which is suspect given that in his comments he indicated "making things up" in his application, then he probably had some sort of "in" at harvard (parent on adcom, a dean or professor, or a big name legacy).

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
Well, not so random -- 4 out of the 5 acceptances (and all of the rejections) he got were pretty consistent with his credentials. If we can believe the mdapplicants post, which is suspect given that in his comments he indicated "making things up" in his application, then he probably had some sort of "in" at harvard (parent on adcom, a dean or professor, or a big name legacy).

that's a good point, harvard does seem to be an abberation relative to the other acceptances. the fact that he made stuff up and admits to it is really pathetic.

it makes sense to me that an english/literature major would be able to write some damn impressive essays that could catch the adcom's attention. if you have sub-par stats but you can persuade people with elaborate writing and make yourself sound extremely well matched for the school you stand a much better chance of getting accepted.

It is fake. A person in that position wouldn't be saying, "honestly, i think I deserve it" they would be saying, "i got into harvard? I hope I didn't make a deal with satan last time I was drunk."

rugirlie said:
I don't see how this could possibly be real AT ALL.

thats the problem with mdapps. you never know what is real and what isnt. besides, this could be true....you never know.

I think if anything, its probably real with the Harvard thrown in as a joke. A 24 MCAT, cmon now! Its pretty much impossible to get into any MD school with that, let alone Harvard.

It's obvious he has terrible stats, but how many of you can claim to having created clubs that ship computers off to poor Africans. Maybe he's not brilliant but he gets things done, and that counts for a lot in the world. Considering he's not a URM and if it's real, I can't say I have qualms with it. He seems like a good guy too unlike many others. Best hearts? I would be okay with having the guy as a classmate were I such a situation. I think he'll do all right.

Shredder said:
It's obvious he has terrible stats, but how many of you can claim to having created clubs that ship computers off to poor Africans. Maybe he's not brilliant but he gets things done, and that counts for a lot in the world. Considering he's not a URM and if it's real, I can't say I have qualms with it. He seems like a good guy too unlike many others. Best hearts? I would be okay with having the guy as a classmate were I such a situation. I think he'll do all right.

I don't know... yea its a neat club but its not like he went and volunteered in Africa. I don't think that makes up for his 24 MCAT. I higly doubt any adcom could justify that. (Really not trying to sound like a number *****) As far as having him as a classmate, I wouldn't be able to tell that from an mdapp profile.

I wonder if places like Harvard ever make a clerical error and just admit somebody by accident and then are like "Oh ****! We let so and so in completely by accident! We could just rescind the offer and admit our mistake. . . but then again, he may sue us and that would cost us time and money to defend. . . I guess it costs nothing to let him just slip by, heck, we make the same money each way. . . Well just let him slide by, he'll be gone in 4 years.Oh well, welcome to Harvard I guess."

One can dream right?

I think, in fact, there is a huge degree of randomness.

I didn't get an interview at places I thought I'd be a shoe-in and admitted to places I didn't think I had a chance.

It's all a big crap shoot :).

rugirlie said:
I don't know... yea its a neat club but its not like he went and volunteered in Africa. I don't think that makes up for his 24 MCAT. I higly doubt any adcom could justify that. (Really not trying to sound like a number *****) As far as having him as a classmate, I wouldn't be able to tell that from an mdapp profile.
I think providing poor Africans with several computers a year is far more beneficial than traveling over there and helping them plant crops or clean hospitals and such. Sure traveling there sounds romantic on paper, but practically speaking the computers probably help more, just like if a tycoon donates a billion dollars vs teaching poor schoolchildren. Plus, this computer endeavor was done as an aside while he continued to pursue school and other activities. 24 MCAT is dismal, but the average at top schools of 33-35 is an average after all, and there have to be people to balance out the 40+. Maybe he was their lowest admitted applicant numbers wise, but you have to wonder what kinds of things he'll do in med school and beyond considering his past feats. This is the kind of diversity seeking that I can deal with. The best hearts comment stood out; he's probably wrong in his analysis, but it's not often you hear things like that.

I think a lot of the stuff on mdapplicants is fake, but, I think the idea that the process is random is usually a cop out for people who got rejected and cant understand why. Its probably 10% random.

Something that has crossed my mind as well. I'm interested to see what people think, maybe I will create a survey.

btowngirl said:

If this is real then she obviously had an excellent personal statement with equal caliber LOR. On top of that she probably nailed the interview thinking she didn't have a chance and as a result was more relaxed than anyone else. It looks like she had been involved in many areas aside from academics which was probably a big plus especially for a place like harvard.

Then again it might be fake.