Is the road to becoming a doctor really that hard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
.......suck ma balls. dat be all.

Members don't see this ad.

firebody said:
.......suck ma balls. dat be all.

HAHAHAHA... i couldn't have asked for a better ending to my forum!... HAHAHA!.... y is this guy in medicine anyway????

To OP,

When are you gona start college?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is hard because medical schools are just not as forgiving about grades, test scores, EC's as other professional schools such as law or business school. You must worry about how you will project yourself all of the time. It's not just about passion (grad school) or performance (law school). Both must be present in a successful M.D. applicant. Also, there is a set pre-med curriculum. If you decide to do a Ph.D, you have a lot more flexibility in course selection. It's easier when you get to do what you'd like.

It's a long hard road. Think about it.

theblastopore said:
To OP,

When are you gona start college?

i am in my second undergraduate semester right now...

tikiman said:
i am in my second undergraduate semester right now...

I hope that I'm not offending you but I sense from your post that you are either a troll or a very young person (in middle or highschool). Well, a high school student and a freshman in college is close enough :laugh:

Anyway, you still have a long road ahead. Your parents are doctors, so you should have a very good idea of what doctors do and what their lifestyle is. If you still are not sure the time and effort needed to become a doctor is worth it for you, then maybe you should explore some other alternatives according to your desire (ie. teaching, engineering, law, business, etc...). At least that's what I would do. But whatever path you chose, you should always try to learn it well and do it well (and keep the grades up). You can always come back to medicine if you know for sure.

I am choosing to go to medicine because I know all that time and effort will be worth it for me, and I am sure many others on this forum feel the same. But honestly, I don't think anybody in this forum (or your home) can tell you whether it's worth it or not for you. My point is: you need time to mature and decide what's important to you.

To answer you original question, it depends :laugh: on many factors. It's harder for some than others. Some of these factors are desire, commitment, and academic capability (not necessarily intelligence but willing to learn and able to do well on tests). Will it be that hard for you? You'll never know until you try it. :laugh:

cloverpie said:
It is hard because medical schools are just not as forgiving about grades, test scores, EC's as other professional schools such as law or business school. You must worry about how you will project yourself all of the time. It's not just about passion (grad school) or performance (law school). Both must be present in a successful M.D. applicant. Also, there is a set pre-med curriculum. If you decide to do a Ph.D, you have a lot more flexibility in course selection. It's easier when you get to do what you'd like.

It's a long hard road. Think about it.

I have a phd and am now a med student. To get the phd I spent over ten years in school to receive the credentials. We also had to do a three year masters program before doing the doctorate. So, I know that what you are saying about grad school is not true at all.

I can tell you that performance is important in a Phd program. It is damn important. You have to perform well in many areas: You do research, take classes, teach, hold office hours, take comp exams, if you pass them you proceed with writing a juried dissertation. In order to graduate, you must defend your dissertation. If you are in a clinical psych program, you also have to worry about matching in to an internship and PERFORMING WELL IN it before you graduate.

By the way, most grad programs, if not all, have their set courses that one must complete in order to gain entrance. Depending on your major, it can take you longer to prepare for a grad program. For instance, if you are a social worker and want to obtain a doctorate in math. You have more courses to take than if you were to choose medicine as a career. You'd have to obtain a great deal of credits in math. It would be like getting a degree in mathematics just to enter a doctorate program in it. Whereas medicine just requires the basic science classes to get in.

For a doctorate program, you don't exactly know when you will graduate. You have additional duties besides your coursework. You are also a junior faculty member and a researcher. I have more free time as a med student. Getting a doctorate is a very, very long and hard road. To assume that you don't have to perform well in a doctorate program is just pure stupid. You really have no idea of what you are talking about. You are just blowing air out of your ass.

tikiman said:
HAHAHAHA... i couldn't have asked for a better ending to my forum!... HAHAHA!.... y is this guy in medicine anyway????

oh please...i can already tell you won't stick to the med school path. not even going to explain to you why i'm going into medicine. i just know you won't be my colleague in the future. trust me, many of us already in med school or applying these next years have seen your 'types'. you'll probably try and stick it out for another year and switch career paths after you've taken your weed out classes....here is some advice, just drop the whole pre-med thing already. you're not cut out for it. i mean seriously, it's never really cool anyways to say 'i'm pre-med' when you've just started college anyways.....

tikiman's style of writing makes my brain hurt. Anyone else?

Please extend some common courtesy to your readers (educated persons, future doctors) and not write like some 14 year old teenybopper in a chat room.
F34r my 1337 ski11z

seriously, Tikiman needs to quit smokin that joint and return to reality...fight premed like a man!!! no one said it was easy...getting into medical school is HARD and always will be!!

No, its actually pretty laid back and not that hard once you get the hang of it all

Karl_Hungus said:
tikiman's style of writing makes my brain hurt. Anyone else?

Please extend some common courtesy to your readers (educated persons, future doctors) and not write like some 14 year old teenybopper in a chat room.
F34r my 1337 ski11z

I know what you mean!!! Anyone have any Xanax? Owwweeee!

:thumbdown: