Is the school to which you are applying more research based or more clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BowlofSunshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This should be another deciding factor when applying for schools.

Don't let tuition, length of time being in the program, etc. be the main factors in deciding which school to attend.

If you hate research, you may end up regretting the program and dropping out, as some of my classmates have.

If you love research, then go for it.

If you prefer more hands on learning and minimal research, then make sure the school teaches from a more clinical approach than research based.

Members don't see this ad.

Which program are you in, and how do you like it? Thanks!

This should be another deciding factor when applying for schools.

Don't let tuition, length of time being in the program, etc. be the main factors in deciding which school to attend.

If you hate research, you may end up regretting the program and dropping out, as some of my classmates have.

If you love research, then go for it.

If you prefer more hands on learning and minimal research, then make sure the school teaches from a more clinical approach than research based.

I am going to Columbia this fall. The program seems to be an excellent balance of research, didactic and clinical learning. Columbia offers 2 options for the research portion of the program. From what I learned at the open house, students can take a structured research class or chose to be in a research pod and conduct a study with help from the faculty but is mostly independent work. Also I like columbias program because students venture out into the field in the summer of their first year to a mental health setting for some hands on learning. You are right. Although Columbia is expensive, the structure of their program is a good balance of research and field work, something that was important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to Columbia this fall. The program seems to be an excellent balance of research, didactic and clinical learning. Columbia offers 2 options for the research portion of the program. From what I learned at the open house, students can take a structured research class or chose to be in a research pod and conduct a study with help from the faculty but is mostly independent work. Also I like columbias program because students venture out into the field in the summer of their first year to a mental health setting for some hands on learning. You are right. Although Columbia is expensive, the structure of their program is a good balance of research and field work, something that was important to me.
LVD- Did you find out more about financial aid from Columbia? Their programs is about $90K right?

LVD- Did you find out more about financial aid from Columbia? Their programs is about $90K right?

I am still waiting on my financial aid packet so I don't know exact figures but doing some research online I found a good breakdown of expenses. http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/2012 Materials/OTYr1bg1213.pdf
http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/2012 Materials/OTYr2bg1213.pdf
Because I won't be Paying for a medical insurance premium and will be living home, I am thinking it will be about 85k for me.

Which program are you in, and how do you like it? Thanks!
I'm at a school in New England and it's mostly research based. I HATE it and wished I would've waited. But I'm here now and not too far off from finishing, so I am sticking it out.

I'm at a school in New England and it's mostly research based. I HATE it and wished I would've waited. But I'm here now and not too far off from finishing, so I am sticking it out.

Can I ask what it is about a research based program that you don't care for? What are some of the disadvantages in your opinion?