USMLE Is the score drop for test takers of Step 2 CK in July a myth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anxietyfreak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning on taking CK in july and curious if its true that because they change the questions, the score drops for most people taking it then? This happened to several people I knew from the class above me so scared as hell if this is true...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an anxiety freak as well so I understand, but in my experience a number of people drop in step 1 and step 2 often due to randomness, nervousness, test day fatigue etc and they will find the most readily available excuse. Question update is one of them.

Ironically because of this fear and in an effort to avoid writing after the question update I actually took step 1 when I wasn't prepared and hadn't slept the night before and I took a nice hit from my nbmes on the real deal lol. Best advice is always take it when you feel ready and screw everything else.

This is not how standardized testing works.

The tests are standardized to avoid this phenomenon and ensure comparability across different administrations of Step 1, but this does not make Step 1 comparable to Step 2 scores. Only Step 1 scores can be compared with other Step 1 scores.