Is the September MCAT the hardest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decafplease

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An offshoot of another thread, but I thought I'd look for some broader discussion on this.

Is the curve uglier for the September MCAT than other MCAT writings? Has anyone noticed this or heard any rumors about such things?

Members don't see this ad.

An offshoot of another thread, but I thought I'd look for some broader discussion on this.

Is the curve uglier for the September MCAT than other MCAT writings? Has anyone noticed this or heard any rumors about such things?
I took the september MCAT, and scored about 4 pts lower than my practice average. So, it was for me!!

Going to repost this here:

Well, take it for what it's worth, but the general consensus I got from test-takers in September was that they were a few points below what the AAMC practice tests had indicated, while most people in August or July seemed to be closer. Mine was by about 3-4 points also, though, besides bragging rights, I don't think it will make too big of a difference for me in the application process. I imagine it was simply a case of a lot of people spending their entire summers studying, making the curve brutal.

If I had to retake, I'd go for early-mid August. Right around the time the PR and Kaplan classes end, and most of the people doing their first write try their hand at the test. You have no idea how many people in my class, who would have benefited quite a bit from more study time, told me they were writing at the end of the course so they could still have a month of summer. Of course, this is pure conjecture and hearsay on my part and I have no statistics to back it all up, so salt heavily. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to repost this here:

Well, take it for what it's worth, but the general consensus I got from test-takers in September was that they were a few points below what the AAMC practice tests had indicated, while most people in August or July seemed to be closer. Mine was by about 3-4 points also, though, besides bragging rights, I don't think it will make too big of a difference for me in the application process. I imagine it was simply a case of a lot of people spending their entire summers studying, making the curve brutal.

If I had to retake, I'd go for early-mid August. Right around the time the PR and Kaplan classes end, and most of the people doing their first write try their hand at the test. You have no idea how many people in my class, who would have benefited quite a bit from more study time, told me they were writing at the end of the course so they could still have a month of summer. Of course, this is pure conjecture and hearsay on my part and I have no statistics to back it all up, so salt heavily. :p
Hmm, I wonder if Ishould retake in may or june now

My September MCAT was definitely harder than any of the practice tests. Although, because I prepared my ass off, I knew that if I found it hard, everyone else was going to find it hard too. That's what saved my ass. What I didn't recover from was verbal. I scored 2 pts lower than my usual in the verbal.

So yeah, my september MCAT was definitely harder. More specifically, the verbal was like, 'OH MY WHAT THE HOLY SLUDGE THIS SECTION IS FRIGGIN LONG AND ******EDLY DIFFICULT.'
(please note that the above exclamation was not an overexaggeration.)

'OH MY WHAT THE HOLY SLUDGE THIS SECTION IS FRIGGIN LONG AND ******EDLY DIFFICULT.'
(please note that the above exclamation was not an overexaggeration.)
Hahaha, I think I thought that more about bio then verbal, but verbal was hard.

Either of you write on September 15th? My PS section was so incredibly difficult, that when I was about halfway through, I questioned if I was possibly in a really bad nightmare. Ever have one of those dreams where you're writing a test and you don't know ANYTHING about the material? And you're naked? That's exactly what it was like.

...Except I was wearing pants.

To this day, I attribute the fact that I scored highly on that section to everyone else doing insanely poorly, as opposed to me doing well. I most certainly did not do well. D-i-s-a-s-t-e-r.

That being said, lots of tests being reported on SDN had very hard sections. The difference was the month later, when most people said they got the mark they had been getting on the practices. Except in September, from what I saw. Ergo, easier curve.

My PS section was so incredibly difficult, that when I was about halfway through, I questioned if I was possibly having a terrible dream. Ever have one of those dreams where you're writing a test and you don't know ANYTHING about the material? And you're naked? That's exactly what it was like.

...Except I was wearing pants.

To this day, I attribute the fact that I scored highly on that section to everyone else doing insanely poorly, as opposed to me doing well. I most certainly did not do well. D-i-s-a-s-t-e-r.

I've had those moments, but they weren't test related. Like, "This is too insane to be true... I must be dreaming!! - no, wait, maybe not."

The AAMC will tell you that they base the curve on "similar" items from previous examinees.

However, I highly doubt that the curve is based entirely on past examinees. Consider in particular the verbal portion, it seems only appropriate to curve according to those that took it with you.

I think the problem with post-summer MCATs is that everyone, or most people, will have studied over the entire summer. This might make it harder for well-prepared people than the spring ones because people have less time to study. However, if what I suggest is true, then the spring ones will only be easier if you are not one of those people who studied less due to classes, etc. If everyone prepared in relative proportion to those that studied over the summer, then there won't be any real difference.

So now there's on offshoot. Is it due to a harder test or a steeper curve?
I would say steeper curve, it seems likee veryone felt crappy about this summers MCATs from May-september, so i doubt anyone test had a test that was THAT much harder then the rest.

Hahaha. Yeah I definitely felt the same way when I got my scores back. My PS was actually ok (but take this with a grain of salt, I was in a physics program), but the other two sections I'm sure that I benefitted from the curve. Overall, I was two points lower than my highest practice test, and right about average for my final 5 tests...maybe 1 pt lower. So I guess the curve did set everything right...EXCEPT FOR THE MONTH LONG DEPRESSION DIRECTLY AFTER THE EXAM. SHEESH! :lol:

Hey all-

I'm pretty sure AAMC bases the "curve" on the past two to three years of examinees, which is part of the reason why scores are only good for three years. There really isn't an ideal time to take the test with respect to scoring. It is definitely to your advantage to take the test before you submit your applications though, which means you should have your scores no later than May for the year you are applying...