Is The South More Doctor Friendly for Pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is the South More Friendly for Doctors to Practice Pain Medicine?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
Well it’s not like Texas, where the Texas medical board is very draconian in its pursuits to chastise physicians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Depends on what you mean by "south". Florida is very different from Texas for example.

I'm North as well, so no idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
People aren't as nice down here as advertised. They drive their golf carts on pedestrians walkways and their kids won't stay off my lawn. I tried turning the sprinklers on to scare them off but they just came back in swimsuits which is 10x worse.

People aren't as nice down here as advertised. They drive their golf carts on pedestrians walkways and their kids won't stay off my lawn. I tried turning the sprinklers on to scare them off but they just came back in swimsuits which is 10x worse.

Peachtree City is known as a rough place. Too many lifted golf carts, not enough with the LED undercarriage light kits. Up in Roswell, so same thing.

Texas is more doctor friendly in as far as it is anti-patient. If you’re actually trying to do something for your patient, especially through worker’s compensation, it’s a pain in the ass.

Reactions: 1 users
It is hard to say because I have only practiced in the southeast in a few different states. Some markets that we have offices in have less competition and we are very busy there, but they aren't necessarily the best places to live. Offices in bigger towns (>200K ish population) have a more educated population that is probably similar to what people see up north, but there is more completion to get patients. I think overall patients are respectful and usually follow plans set forth by the physician. Some areas of the south are super poor and if you go there it will be pretty much 100% medicaid and medicare. Lower overhead though due to COL. Carolinas has been better than FL in terms of getting on insurance plans and fewer denials.

Well it’s not like Texas, where the Texas medical board is very draconian in its pursuits to chastise physicians.

More than other states? Most TMB bulletins for violating standard of care for pain prescribing as some CME/small fine - not exactly draconian. Unlike Texas, other states have specific legislation on opioids.

More than other states? Most TMB bulletins for violating standard of care for pain prescribing as some CME/small fine - not exactly draconian. Unlike Texas, other states have specific legislation on opioids.
When I was practicing there, they would investigate any physician whose patient made a bogus complaint to TMB regarding getting discharged or weaned, regardless of how ridiculous their narrative was. The benefit of the doubt was always given to the patient and the physician would have to provide extensive documentation to defend their clinical decision making in order clear their name. The physician was guilty until proven innocent. I’ve practiced in 3 other states, all of which have committees that vet the merit of each complaint prior to contacting the physician. It’s a joke down there, although I did like the tort reform statutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Many states have an investigate all claims policy. They usually dismiss them before formal investigations are started.

I hear AZ has a 90 MME hard cap on all rxs. Not sure if this still exists. Can someone from that state elaborate?