Is there a advantage in going to middlebury Vs Bowdoin Vs carnegie Mellon for premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dodo2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had asked this before but this is the decision time now.

Members don't see this ad.

Bowdoin is supposed to have a good pre-med program BUT I suggest you make your decision based on which school you would enjoy the most. All those schools will prepare you for med school but you will be the best applicant if you are happy and do interesting things in med school.

My little sister is going to Bowdoin next year so I guess my vote is that school.

I went to Midd. It rocked with the heat of 1000 suns. You're not going to find a school of that size anywhere with better facilites or faculty. If you're pre-med, hell, did you see the science building?!? Its silly, and in fact, I think the Princeton Review ranked them as having the best faculty in the country this year. The women are hot, the gym is nice.....It's a great, great, great school. Definatly better than Pittsburgh, if you're not totally abig city kind of person. That might be the only complaint, is that school is your world, because there is precious little close by "culture" wise. So if you want museums and concerts, go elsewhere. But if you like beautiful rolling fields and cows, lots of cows, go to Midd. You really are pushed to excel there, to achieve. But wherever you go, you still have to take O-Chem, bio, physics, etc. So where you go kind of doesn't matter overall, its how you do there. These classes are hard anywhere, they'll be doubly hard at Midd. Just work you're tush off, play some sports, keep fit, and have a good time, and you'll get in. Cheers! Go Panthers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll even it out. Carnagie Mellon is a great school as well, particularly if you have any interest in engineering or business/political science. And Pittsburgh is a great town with lots to do (it has been cleaned up quite a bit over the last 10 years from the dank steel-town image it had). In he end, though, go where you think you'd fit in the best.

I'm assuming from your post that you are planning to go in as a pre-med major. I suggest you look through some of the previous threads on this topic because the overwhelming consensous has been that being a pre-med major is not a great idea. It could even be detrimental to your chances of getting into med school. Med schools are looking from well-rounded people with interests outside of medicine . . . a major in pre-med does not portray this. Of course, a vast majority of applicants are bio majors, but that still allows you a lot of leeway in the classes you take. Plus, I saw many a "pre-med" change their mind during college. Also, god forbid you don't get into medical school you are screwed if all you have is a pre-med degree (shows a lack of forsight admissions committees don't fondly upon). Just some food for thought.

All of them will serve you well.

I will probably major in international politics and economics. I will also play football. All three schools recruited me to play football for them. I hope playing football and doing premed is possible. I will problably will get killed doing all these things.

I don't know if someone has said this yet, but just go where you like it better. In my experience I don't think it really matters which school you go to if you are determined to succeed. Sure, if one of your choices is an Ivy or something, obviously that is better, but it really just comes down to where you will be happy. If you want to learn and succeed, you will work hard enough no matter which school you choose.

I would go to which ever school has the best football program. What division are those schools playing?

The reason I would choose this on football is because everyone says they are all good schools. I personally do not know anything about the schools.

middlebury, hands down...i've heard the chicks there are hot as hell...holla!
+pity+

Let me just say that Carnegie Mellon has to be one of the most UNDERRATED universities in the country. CMU has some of the BEST programs in the country in cognitive science, engineering, physics, and a plethora of other fields..yet, you RARELY ever here this school being mentioned in this forum or by anyone in the real world. This school is consistently ranked in the top 30 national universities but no one really appreciates how much it has to offer and the cutting edge research that goes on there.

CMU has the LEADING artificial intelligence program in the country because their robotics division is SO friggin' advanced...CMU scientists built robots that can outdo the best that MIT and CalTech produced. Even if you're not interested in cognitive science as a field, you know you're in the presence of some of the best researchers and I'm sure CMU offers undergraduate research opportunities as well.

Middlebury and Bowdoin are both great liberal arts schools so you really can't go wrong with either one. I have a bias in favor of national universities so I won't even offer an opinion on which school you should attend...but make sure you choose a school that you feel you will be HAPPY attending for 4 years. In addition to academics, make sure you factor in the quality of life in that area, extra-curricular opportunities, research opportunities, and whether the social atmosphere of the school "clicks" with you.

You're choosing among some of the best schools in the country. I wish you the best of luck at whichever school you attend. :)

I actually just graduated from Carnegie Mellon -- Thanks BerkeleyPreMed for all of those comments, as CMU is somewhat of an underdog. Anways, I thought I would share some of my own experiences there to help you decide.

First of all, I loved being a student there. You work your butt off, but you get such a great education...in the class room. Problem that I had was that the whole student body always seemed so stressed out, so overworked, that it kind of lead to a less than desirable social atmosphere...which is just as important. What I would do is check out the activities and extracurriculars that are available at CMU and decide whether any of them seem suitable to your interests. You can find this on their website. There were really only a few that I found appealing, and so my extracurriculars more or less involved a lot of research (big research school!) and a little tutoring with disadvantaged kids. Since you are playing football, that may quite possibly serve as your best social outlet.

In terms of academics, everything BerkeleyPremed said is right on. But now do you want to major in computer science, physics, engineering, or cognitive science? I believe you said something about international politics or economics. CMU does not have an international politics department, so you would have to do a self-defined major (which is possible, I know many people who have done it). They have economics, but just be warned that CMU is known for being a "tech" school, so everything has a "quantitative" spin to it. If you really enjoy liberal arts in the very traditional sense of the word, then liberal arts at CMU is probably not right for you. Also, you would have to determine whether you could take classes at Mellon College of Science, as your major would be in the Humanities College (you apply to separate colleges at CMU, you're not just admitted to the University at large).

One last thing. CMU sciences are HARD. People in that college work their ***** off, and don't look like they're having a lot of fun. Also, I don't think our record for getting people into medical schools is that strong. I would really pay attention to that as you decide. Although I can't speak from experience (I wasn't premed at CMU), I don't think that professors there are into the whole medical school thing. I feel like professors there push the PhD route instead. Maybe I get that feeling because the school is not associated with a medical school and so the professors aren't influenced by it, and they're mainly involved in research and more "techy" things. I don't know. But I know that the "softer" science professors are few and far between. So you will have a lot of fun finding that OChem or Physics Professor who is most likely to give students some slack and not be a hardass just for the sake of it. Truth is, they're interested that you learn, but not necessarily that your grades reflect that. Most of them could care less.

Also, considering you are going to be an athlete, I must forewarn you that CMU is not an incredibly spirited university. I think we have pride in our school, but athletics is not the center of too many people's attention there. I would attend one of the sporting events just to see how many people show up. You may be surprised! So if a big crowd cheering you on makes the sport more fun, I wouldn't go to CMU.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I worked in admissions my first two years of college so I don't mind taking on that role again. Also, I know a lot of this may sound negative, but CMU is,at least in my opinion, for a very particular person. And really, deep down, I don't think it's the right place for a PreMed. The social scene (not the same as party scene...) is not always healthy, and I think that is very important to cultivating those interpersonal strengths that are so important to being a good doctor. Not that your individual social competences won't prevail, it's just not the ideal situation.

I would go to the easiest college possible if your heart is set on medical school. Of the schools you listed, CMU is definitely going to be the hardest day in and day out. How hard you worked or how much you have learned is ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS TO ADCOMS! It is a mindless process that rewards big numbers. Adcoms to not bother to weigh gpa's by school and major appropriately so heed my words and go to a school where you KNOW you can get straight A's.

I also know a lot of athletes who felt like their commitment to a sport nearly eliminated their shot at med school. The time crunch was brutal (nothing like high school so don't think you can compare it). If you'd like to stick w/ your sport, I'd also recommend you go to a less competitive school.

Those three are all great schools. I think you should just go to the school you liked the most, or the school that gave you the most financial aid. Choosing one over the other probably wont greatly alter your chances at medical school.

i think all the comments about academics at CMU are right on. however, college is prime time to get a lot of "social education" as well. my fiance went to CMU, and he does not recommend it ("unless you are a borderline attractive girl, and then it will be the one time in your life when men flock to you and consider you a hot girl"). his experience was that most CMU students spend all their time studying and are in the library even on friday nights, etc. there is a very high male:female ratio, so it's tough to get girls. he regrets choosing CMU over a liberal arts school, and none of his friends from college liked it either.

i don't know... that's just his $.02, and he is far from medical minded. i will also say that i wouldn't trade my experience at a well-reputed liberal arts college for anything. the balance of academics and social experience was tremendous. i have no regrets about where i went to school.

good luck with your decision :)

Peterock said:
I would go to the easiest college possible if your heart is set on medical school. Of the schools you listed, CMU is definitely going to be the hardest day in and day out. How hard you worked or how much you have learned is ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS TO ADCOMS! It is a mindless process that rewards big numbers. Adcoms to not bother to weigh gpa's by school and major appropriately so heed my words and go to a school where you KNOW you can get straight A's.

I also know a lot of athletes who felt like their commitment to a sport nearly eliminated their shot at med school. The time crunch was brutal (nothing like high school so don't think you can compare it). If you'd like to stick w/ your sport, I'd also recommend you go to a less competitive school.

now peterock may have a point...but then again...not all people with big numbers get rewarded. i know he doesnt want to hear me out on this...but it is true.

the most important thing is to go to a school that you will enjoy the next four years of your life at. whether that be a place you want to be intellectually challenged at, or want to enjoy the competition on the field, or major in something you would like to knowing that once you enter med school trying to learn things outside of medicine becomes very difficult.

also...college is the best four years of your life as well. dont go to a place thats overly stressed out. not good for the social environment of the school and for you.

I agree with all BerkeleyPremed said in his post. CMU is a phenomenal school. Exceptional in everything.

On the other hand i agree with what Peter ( still complaining eh? :p) said. Since you are going to be doing sports and pre-med, you are going to get slaughtered. Especially at a school like CMU. I am pretty sure that you don't want to arrive here 3 years later and ask "2.8 from CMU - chances?".

Midd and Bodwoin are really great liberal arts schools. Well recognized and with great academics.

Maybe before you make your decision, you ought to think what you expect out of college and which school meets your expectations the most.

I think both Jlee and Tezzie were suggesting that you only listen to my posts. They're both constipated masochists and who really likes people like that anyway? :rolleyes:

jlee9531 said:
now peterock may have a point...but then again...not all people with big numbers get rewarded. i know he doesnt want to hear me out on this...but it is true.

What Jlee actually means is that there are approximately 3 people with big numbers who are not accepted to medical school and they usually apply to exclusively top ten b/c they think their sh1t doesn't stink or they still sleep in the same bed as their parents. Got it?

I have read that athletes enjoy college more than any other group, that being said, maybe you should really try to find a school where you think you can balance both sports and academics. CMU's woeful female/male ratio is really something to consider as well.... it might be the most competitive school academically... but is it the best school for you?

dodo2 said:
I had asked this before but this is the decision time now.

Simply.....
Middlebury is the best time that I have ever had in my entire life. Exclamation point.

Their IP&E program is beloved. Poli Sci and Econ are great departments in addition to the science stuff.

The place is beautiful: the football field has the best view that I have ever seen and they gym is brilliant!

The science center, Bi(centennial) Hall, is HUGE and has fanfreakingtastic facilities (the labs are brand new and the walls in the hallways are chalkboards for studytime).

The professors are simply incredible and so supportive.

The students are so motivated and smart.

AND, most importantly, the food is included in tuition and AMAZING!!! What I wouldn't give for their eggplant parmiganne and salad bar in real life!

Just thought I would throw in my love and passion for my school in the midst of cows and mountains!