Is there a “chance” difference between a B.S. and B.A. degree if the intended major is biology/chemistry when applying to Med-School?

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been admitted into Berea College—a small liberal arts school for the favorable tuition and expenses—but they only offer degrees as a Bachelor of Arts rather than like Biology B.S. or Chemistry B.S. Will this affect my chances when applying to competitive medical programs, specifically PSTP and other programs of the like to earn a MD/PhD??

Here is the criteria for Biology B.A.: Biology B.A.
And for Chemistry B.A.: Chemistry B.A.

Will I be okay with these courses earning my degree. Obviously I will spend time to branch out to find research opportunities and other resources viable to attain all the assets, extracurriculars, experiences, clinical hours, etc. needed for a competitive application, but I hope this doesn’t hold me backwards. I’d honestly do anything and everything to build medical intuition to prepare for medical school and to ace the MCAT. All responses would really help and thanks for your time!!

Also note: others have gotten into med-school from my college just fine. Though my high aspiration to be admitted to a school like Duke PSTP may alter my chances a bit.

With Gratitude,

Worried High Schooler (c/o ‘21)

Members don't see this ad.

I have been admitted into Berea College—a small liberal arts school for the favorable tuition and expenses—but they only offer degrees as a Bachelor of Arts rather than like Biology B.S. or Chemistry B.S. Will this affect my chances when applying to competitive medical programs, specifically PSTP and other programs of the like to earn a MD/PhD??

Here is the criteria for Biology B.A.: Biology B.A.
And for Chemistry B.A.: Chemistry B.A.

Will I be okay with these courses earning my degree. Obviously I will spend time to branch out to find research opportunities and other resources viable to attain all the assets, extracurriculars, experiences, clinical hours, etc. needed for a competitive application, but I hope this doesn’t hold me backwards. I’d honestly do anything and everything to build medical intuition to prepare for medical school and to ace the MCAT. All responses would really help and thanks for your time!!

Also note: others have gotten into med-school from my college just fine. Though my high aspiration to be admitted to a school like Duke PSTP may alter my chances a bit.

With Gratitude,

Worried High Schooler (c/o ‘21)
Hi and welcome to SDN. Congrats on your acceptance into college!
If you take the pre-reqs, pretty much any major will do when it comes to getting into medical school.
Medical schools will NOT care if you get a B.A. vs. a B.S.--usually the difference comes down to a few extra science and math courses, so no big deal.
Do not worry too much about the prestige associated w/the college that you choose. A bachelor's degree from pretty much any school in the country will do, as long as you do well in your courses. I repeat, ace your courses! :)
There is a booklet called the MSAR (it's also available online) that you can purchase to see exactly which courses you need to take to help with the MCAT. I would recommend investing in this as well as sitting down with a pre-med advisor or a school counseler to create a plan to graduate in a reasonable amount of time.

Hope that answered your questions and good luck! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Hi and welcome to SDN. Congrats on your acceptance into college!
If you take the pre-reqs, pretty much any major will do when it comes to getting into medical school.
Medical schools will NOT care if you get a B.A. vs. a B.S.--usually the difference comes down to a few extra science and math courses, so no big deal.
Do not worry too much about the prestige associated w/the college that you choose. A bachelor's degree from pretty much any school in the country will do, as long as you do well in your courses. I repeat, ace your courses! :)
There is a booklet called the MSAR (it's also available online) that you can purchase to see exactly which courses you need to take to help with the MCAT. I would recommend investing in this as well as sitting down with a pre-med advisor or a school counseler to create a plan to graduate in a reasonable amount of time.

Hope that answered your questions and good luck! :D

Thanks for the clarification and helpful advice!! I was honestly worried that the degree-type and abundance of pre-req courses would limit my capabilities and chances as far as getting into a medical school.

Thank-you so much! The insight clears a lot of things!

Thanks for the clarification and helpful advice!! I was honestly worried that the degree-type and abundance of pre-req courses would limit my capabilities and chances as far as getting into a medical school.

Thank-you so much! The insight clears a lot of things!
No problem. As I said above, degree type shouldn't influence whether or not you get in. Med schools don't care if you take calc-based physics or regular physics (I took regular physics though I got a B.S. in a science field), whether you took statistics or calculus, etc. Just be sure that you take the pre-reqs and a sprinkling of upper division bio to help with the MCAT (biochem, genetics, A&P, etc.).

Re: the bolded--don't let anyone ever tell you what you can and cannot do.
Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. :)