Is there a diff in NP or PA if focused in a Specialty or Hospital Based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamMax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a ton of these threads and the main objection to NP that I am seeing is that with the addition of DNP and the fact the training is different than that of the medical model that most people are stating a PA would be better. However, what I am unclear on since it sounds like most of the discussion is directed at FP care ....what about Specialty areas? Or if someone would prefer to be hospital based? Would there be a difference?

I would prefer the training of a PA since it is the medical model; however, I have been told that the NPs are hired more readily in my area and some hospitals won't even look at a PA. I am in the PA, NJ, DE area. I have absolutely no interest in the DNP program and do not want to pursue my own practice - so that part about the "indepency" is a non issue for me.

Any info is appreciated.:beat:<--Not trying to beat the dead horse.. just looking for information pertaining to specialties and hospital based.

Members don't see this ad.

I read a ton of these threads and the main objection to NP that I am seeing is that with the addition of DNP and the fact the training is different than that of the medical model that most people are stating a PA would be better. However, what I am unclear on since it sounds like most of the discussion is directed at FP care ....what about Specialty areas? Or if someone would prefer to be hospital based? Would there be a difference?

I would prefer the training of a PA since it is the medical model; however, I have been told that the NPs are hired more readily in my area and some hospitals won't even look at a PA. I am in the PA, NJ, DE area. I have absolutely no interest in the DNP program and do not want to pursue my own practice - so that part about the "indepency" is a non issue for me.

Any info is appreciated.:beat:<--Not trying to beat the dead horse.. just looking for information pertaining to specialties and hospital based.

so what specialty(s) are you looking at?

Endocrinology specifically diabetes~ would like to be involved with in-hospital care since so much emphasis is being put on tight GI control. However I don't want to rule out Cardiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I spoke to a few people and found the information that I needed. So I will be signing off from this board.

Thank you

It's the same answer. 99.99999% of medical texts (Including SPECIALTIES) are written via the Medical Model.