Is there a difference between 3.4 sci and 3.5 sci?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LUBDUBB, Nov 14, 2002.

1. LUBDUBB

LUBDUBB Freakaholic

Hey all,

I'm taking physics I right now, the best grade i can get is a B, but will most likely end up with a B-. If I get a B-, my science GPA will fall to 3.4; on the other hand, if I withdraw, take it at an easier school, start with a clean slate, i have a chance at an A, and bump my sci to a 3.5.

Is it worth dropping the class to save my gpa? Or should I just try to hack out a class where the best grade is a B?

Thanks,
    Lubdubb

P.S I've already graduated and I'm not applying for a while, so I am not obligated to take the class right now.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member

yes there is a difference. 0.1

4. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

scootad.....that's what I was going to say!!!!!

Lubdubb.........I wouldn't worry about a 3.4 vs. 3.5

it's ridiculous that you are worried about that and not about the difference between a C and a B!

5. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    hey, i was gonna say that too. as a math major, it was my duty. but i think the true question here is "is there a difference between a 3.4 sci and a 3.5 sci with a withdraw" i don't know how adcoms think (who knows what adcoms think. they can be a wacky bunch :)) but i would go with the non-withdraw option. besides, if you're taking Physics I right now, then you must not be applying for a while. you've got plenty of time to bring that puppy up.

6. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member

I once asked my anthro professor for a withdrawal-- and she said why? and i gave the truthful answer of wanting to go to med school and not wanting the grade to hurt my gpa severly. This was right after receiving a C- on a 40% weighted midterm.

She told me that she was once on an admissions committee for a med school (i don't remember which one) and that they always were wary of withdrawals if there were no 'serious' situations. They always think it's a reason to question why? What went wrong?

Anyways, I didn't withdraw from that class-- and i'm thankful I didn't. Just rock the physics on the mcat. have you taken that yet?

7. Street Philosopher

you know that phrase about remaining silent and everyone thinking you're an idiot instead of removing all doubt? well i'm not bringing this up to imply anyone is an idiot, but i think there is some similarity. having a 3.5 and a W will make them wonder, but a 3.4 and a low grade will remove all doubt. that's my opinion.

8. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member

but the low grade here at worst is a B-.
    That's not that bad!
    Not to mention the time already spent in physics. Knock out a good mcat in physics and you'll be fine.
    Use that extra time you would have spent to RETAKE physics at an easier school- to beef up your ecs..
    or take a different class to boost up your gpa.

9. LUBDUBB

LUBDUBB Freakaholic

I honestly don't think a W is that big of a deal. A buddy of mine had a W his sophomore year; he has had 5 interviews, not once did he get asked about his W.

I just thought it might be a good idea to take another crack at the class and perhaps get an A. Why settle for a B- or C+ when I have a shot at an A??

Thank you all for your responses.