Is there a General consensus on this very broad secondary prompt??

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Dec 16, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have seen a couple optional essays on secondaries that are very broad, they say something to the effect of:
"Do you wish to include any comments, or anything else that is relevant to you, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?" or "that has not been touched on in other parts of your application", etc

Is the consensus to do a Why Us essay everytime you see this prompt?

D

deleted1044561

It's optional. I personally wouldn't do a why us here. It seems like they're asking for stuff about you like things you didn't include on your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Include anything that isn't obvious on your application that could help you, especially if you have a non-obvious tie to the school/area (spouse attends the school, family lives in the area, you lived in the area for a large portion of your life, etc.). Don't write a generic "Why us?" essay where you list things you like about the school, if they wanted know that stuff, they'd ask for it.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Dec 16, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It's optional. I personally wouldn't do a why us here. It seems like they're asking for stuff about you like things you didn't include on your app.

I understand they’re optional, but when there’s schools like St. Louis that only have two other prompts (if you’re enrolled in school, and if you’ve ever been disciplined for something) I think that I should try to answer it
Okay maybe I’ll do that! Write more about me if applicable, and stay away from a why us

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Don't waste their time and yours unless you have something important to say. If you needed to explain a gap in your enrollment or had no activities for an entire summer due to recouperation from an injury or something like that, write something. If looking at your applicaiton, the adcom might wonder "what's up with that?" then you should write something. Otherwise, save your time and ours.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.