Is there a noticeable/sizable difference between an intern/resident who reads regularly and one who reads sporadically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makethemostofit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do attendings/senior residents pick up on this? Do patients?

Or is the difference that is makes negligible?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the person, but yes. It's usually easy to tell who has actually read the guidelines and who half asses it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
It kind of depends on where you are in residency. For upper level residents it's pretty obvious (and we have in-service exam scores to back that assessment up). But residency is about ability to "do" as much as it is the ability to "know" and the former is usually the bigger challenge early on... basically having to run through a mental flowchart of "what do I do in this situation?" is the skill that matters most early on in whether or not you make it as a resident.

Even well-read interns are going to have A LOT that they don't know yet, so getting up to speed on figuring out what you do know, what you don't, and who and what to do when you don't have the answer is the sink or swim thing early on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Generally yes. Interns are like puppies, when they start off they are somehow more innocent than med students. But like a puppy we can tell when an intern is not growing and still peeing on the carpet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Generally yes. Interns are like puppies, when they start off they are somehow more innocent than med students. But like a puppy we can tell when an intern is not growing and still peeing on the carpet.

What I do in the comfort of my own home is none of your business.

I mean... yeah, silly interns! Hehe.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users