Is there a Patron Saint of Waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beegeforty4

Water is hydrophilic.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not Catholic, but I think us Lutherans believe in the Assembly of Saints; we just don't pray to those guys that often. So my question is, Catholics: Which saint do I need to pray to so that I can get off the waitlist? I was thinking Anthony since I'm missing an acceptance letter, but Mary is never a bad guess. I don't know.

I'm not desperate at all...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i should say that the only reason i know that is it was a recommendation from my catholic girlfriend's mom...

haha, someone beat me to saying st. jude

is "st. jude" a common punchline for difficult situations?

haha, someone beat me to saying st. jude

I was about to say the same thing. I actually carry a St. Jude necklace and hang it in my rearview mirror. I am not even catholic.

Aww it is just soooo cute, all you Catholics...comparing your novenas and rosaries and whatnot.

Just adorable...

Aww it is just soooo cute, all you Catholics...comparing your novenas and rosaries and whatnot.

Just adorable...

And yet, if this was a thread about a different sect, there'd be sixteen angry retorts by now. We must all be too drunk on our communion wine to respond properly. :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest the fairly obscure St. Cajetan, patron saint of job seekers and the unemployed. He founded a hospital as well, so doesn't he doubly count? :D

And yet, if this was a thread about a different sect, there'd be sixteen angry retorts by now. We must all be too drunk on our communion wine to respond properly. :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest the fairly obscure St. Cajetan, patron saint of job seekers and the unemployed. He founded a hospital as well, so doesn't he doubly count? :D

I agree with that so much I'm going to give you a "Here, here!" (while pounding my beer mug on my computer desk)

Plus, I think I'm going to pick the saint you found to pray to, after I figure out how to pronounce it (thank God for wikipedia)...

Actually since I have all you Catholics' attention, did you you guys revoke the whole purgatory thing? There was a rumor from me' Irish uncles that you guys don't have that in the doctrine anymore...

Members don't see this ad :)
purgatory's still in, limbo is out

Actually since I have all you Catholics' attention, did you you guys revoke the whole purgatory thing? There was a rumor from me' Irish uncles that you guys don't have that in the doctrine anymore...

I just had my confirmation (about 13 years late), I took classes and Purgatory is still there... we're letting more people in now is my understanding.

Catholics don't pray to the saints but ask the saints to pray to God (basically like asking a well connected friend to put in a good word for you).

Some well or not so well known facts:

St. Luke is the patron saint of physicians.

St. Jude Children's Hospital is named for the Patron Saint of Hopeless Causes because the founder of the hospital, comedian Danny Thomas, asked St. Jude for help with his career.

There is a shrine to St. Jude at St. Catherine of Siena Church on E.68th St near Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

Oh, ouch (patron saint of lost causes for you non-Catholics out there)...

Wow. That just made the Saint Jude's Children's Cancer Foundation so much more depressing :(

If you're applying to a Jesiut school St. Thomas Aquinas might be your best bet. He's the patron saint of Catholic Universities.

If not, I'd go with St. Luke (patron of physicians).

Just pray to Jesus and cut out the middle man. More red tape is the last thing you need while applying to medical schools.

Or if you want to cross religions for a hot second, you can pray to Ganesha and I point to Wikipedia (I'm too lazy to write it out)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha

As a Hindu, before the beginning of every school year, I do special prayers in His name as well as to Goddess Sarasvati, patron deity of fine arts and knowledge. Just in case.

As you were. :)

I'm surprised some smartass didn't write St. Patrick by now...

Or if you want to cross religions for a hot second, you can pray to Ganesha and I point to Wikipedia (I'm too lazy to write it out)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha

As a Hindu, before the beginning of every school year, I do special prayers in His name as well as to Goddess Sarasvati, patron deity of fine arts and knowledge. Just in case.

As you were. :)

ha! you beat me to it. And you know praying to Ganesha isn't only for Hindus these days. Just ask the people at Teavana who say they sell Buddha and Ganesha statues because they are meant to bring inner peace to the soul. bwahahahaha. ;) ;)

I'm still for St. Jude, but don't forget Padre Pio, John Paul (though I doubt the Church will count this towards his sainthood if you get in), and St. Michael if you're an adrelanine-junkie-wanna-be-ER-doc (patron saint of police, ems, and caring for those who care for others).