is there a ranking of journals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terrybug

happy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there's a way to know which journals are considered more preeminent than others.
In applying to schools, I'm comparing the various professors I'm interested in working with and it looks like all of them are producing equal amounts of work... but how do I find out if some are getting published in more 'serious' journals than others?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a ranking of journals by citation impact factor. I don't have a link to it though, and if anyone does I'd love to bookmark it.
Someone recently compiled a list of "journals of the century," including those listed below (http://www.apa.org/monitor/nov01/journals.html). These are the "top top" journals in psych, cutting across all areas, but note that there are many great journals not on this list, including those with a more specific focus.
A good way to evaluate the impact of your POI's research is to go to PsychINFO and look at how often their work has been cited (of course, this won't work for their most recent work).

General
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
American Journal of Psychology
American Psychologist
Behavioral and Brain Sciences
Psychological Bulletin
Psychological Methods
Psychological Review
Psychological Science

Applied Psychological Methods --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journal of Applied Psychology
Journal of Counseling Psychology
Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
Personnel Psychology

Biological/Physiological
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Behavioral Neuroscience
Journal of Comparative Psychology
Psychophysiology

Clinical/Abnormal
Journal of Abnormal Psychology
Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology

Developmental
Child Development
Developmental Psychology

Experimental
Cognition
Cognitive Psychology
Journal of Experimental Psychology (includes all five individual sections)
Journal of Memory and Language
Perception & Psychophysics

Mathematical
Psychometrika

Personality/Social
Journal of Experimental Social Psychology
Journal of Personality
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin