Is there a reason not to attend LSHTM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineering-guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a few online public health programs. I have a medical issue that prevents me from stopping therapy and attending an MPH program elsewhere, so I will be staying in Toronto. At least I can keep my engineering job while I study.

Given my quantitative background, I am much more interested in epidemiology and biostatistics, and moderate interest in policy and health economics. I understand that LSHTM is one of the world's best known schools for public health, but is there a reason to choose another school over LSHTM given my interests? As in, are there other schools that can provide me with stronger development of my quantitative skills than LSHTM? I've also been accepted into Edinburgh and Sheffield. I would've applied to JHU and Berkeley but I didn't have the health-related work experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting into LSHTM, personally I think it is probably the best public health school out there, I'm not 100% up on how good the online program is, but I'd take advantage of the opportunity to connect online with professors and fellow students.

In terms of quantitative skills . . . you probably have them in spades already and some MPH students, especially at middle tier programs and under in the U.S. have very little math skills. No doubt you'll love BioStats classes and quantitative stuff.

If you want to go above and beyond, then work hard in your classes and read-up on what analytical topics you want outside of class work. I think that given the stellar rep of LSHTM nobody is going to be like, "they didn't teach me Epi or BioStats." Maybe with the English system some things are different, but working hard is working hard period.

Best advice I ever got was to read a lot, especially if you enjoy studying. I'm reading Epidemiology by Leon Gordis, and I'll no doubt crack open a BioStats book, so if I go to public health school I'll be in a position to soak up more info like a dry rag because a lot of info is already loaded into my brain!

Search this forum for LSHTM and Online degree, it might be with the English system they don't spoon feed you, so expect a lot of self-study.

If I had the $$$ and got in there I'd rent out an apartment (I guess flat!) and go to LSHTM and study day and night and get to know a lot of the professors and fellow students. If I wanted to learn BioStats I'd ask a professor there the best way to do it, what textbooks etc . . . you've got to be proactive.

I applied to a few online public health programs. I have a medical issue that prevents me from stopping therapy and attending an MPH program elsewhere, so I will be staying in Toronto. At least I can keep my engineering job while I study.

Given my quantitative background, I am much more interested in epidemiology and biostatistics, and moderate interest in policy and health economics. I understand that LSHTM is one of the world's best known schools for public health, but is there a reason to choose another school over LSHTM given my interests? As in, are there other schools that can provide me with stronger development of my quantitative skills than LSHTM? I've also been accepted into Edinburgh and Sheffield. I would've applied to JHU and Berkeley but I didn't have the health-related work experience.

Last edited: