Is there a red flag or am I unreasonably comparing myself to others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagoftrailmix

Reaction score
I have 2 II, and maybe "what's wrong" is me comparing myself too much to others on SDN, but I can't help but feel anxious..

LM: 81, CA resident, ORM
Major/Minor:
Biology/NutriSci, PBK, Honors
Research Experience: 1500 hours w/ senior thesis project, no pubs
Volunteering: 115 clinical hours, 200 non-clinical
Physician Shadowing: 20 hours
Employment: Anticipating 2200 hrs from scribing this gap year, 2 work-study (500 + 700 hours), 300 hours summer job
Leadership: 1. Editorial Director, 500 hours, 2. Fellowship Director, 400 hours.
LORs: PI, Hospital volunteer coordinator - very likely good letters + 2 science professors + sociology professor.
A: 1, II: 2, pending post II: 1, R: 4, 2ndary w/o response: 22

I'm thinking it could be my later secondary return time? First third of them I sent within 2 weeks, but I'll admit that the later quarter or third returned as late as a month later (full-time work was really rough on my energy and I was constantly exhausted).

Maybe a LOR wasn't great? Too many high-stat schools?

Low clinical volunteering hours? I've already sent some schools an update email w/ current clinical employment hours (800hours + becoming an MA)

Or my personal statement/secondaries weren't that engaging? I don't have any stories of medical emergencies or trauma. I wouldn't consider myself a great writer.

I hope I don't come across as ungrateful,...but if I do then I'll be glad to hear that I'm just overreacting and need to get off the internet for a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Easier said than done, but definitely give it some time. A lot of the schools on your hold list have cycles that are still going strong, and many have non-rolling admissions anyway. As an applicant last year there was a time where I was fraught with similar anxiety about not being where I expected but caught up with time. The application cycle is unpredictable, long and exhausting, plain and simple.
Your clinical hours seem lower than average but fine by all means. Your app overall seems very solid to me.
Honestly, the most surprising thing is your interview and acceptance. Kind of would have expected them to yield protect you, ahaha.
Don't worry too much, clearly you're going to be a doctor!

Reactions: 2 users
CA resident, ORM
^^^ This explains it. The pandemic has also delayed the process this year. No need to fret yet...

Also clinical hours including shadowing are a little light based on what you've done (and not merely anticipated doing); however, Covid-19 will probably result in leniency on that front.

Edited: It looks like you have an acceptance. You need to relax. The premed rat race is almost over.

Reactions: 1 users
Easier said than done, but definitely give it some time. A lot of the schools on your hold list have cycles that are still going strong, and many have non-rolling admissions anyway. As an applicant last year there was a time where I was fraught with similar anxiety about not being where I expected but caught up with time. The application cycle is unpredictable, long and exhausting, plain and simple.
Your clinical hours seem lower than average but fine by all means. Your app overall seems very solid to me.
Honestly, the most surprising thing is your interview and acceptance. Kind of would have expected them to yield protect you, ahaha.
Don't worry too much, clearly you're going to be a doctor!
Thank you for your kind words! I agree that "just relaxing" is definitely is easier said than done. I was a little surprised by the A too, and, to be honest, it might be the reason why I feel like I can shoot higher and am feeling anxious...but at the risk of coming off ungrateful. You're right though, the goal has been reached already, only takes one A! Just gotta get over my ego.

Reactions: 1 user
CA resident, ORM
Volunteering:
115 clinical hours, 200 non-clinical
later secondary return time
Too many high-stat schools?
personal statement/secondaries weren't that engaging
Any of the above could be a reason, but there is nothing you can do at this point. You have one A, so you will become a doctor. Maybe not the top choice, but much better than so many others (I have to keep telling myself the same thing).

I have 2 II, and maybe "what's wrong" is me comparing myself too much to others on SDN, but I can't help but feel anxious..

Major/Minor:
Employment: Anticipating 2200 hrs from scribing this gap year, 2 work-study (500 + 700 hours), 300 hours summer job
Leadership: 1. Editorial Director, 500 hours, 2. Fellowship Director, 400 hours.
LORs: PI, Hospital volunteer coordinator - very likely good letters + 2 science professors + sociology professor.

I'm thinking it could be my later secondary return time? First third of them I sent within 2 weeks, but I'll admit that the later quarter or third returned as late as a month later (full-time work was really rough on my energy and I was constantly exhausted).

Low clinical volunteering hours? I've already sent some schools an update email w/ current clinical employment hours (800hours + becoming an MA)

Or my personal statement/secondaries weren't that engaging? I don't have any stories of medical emergencies or trauma. I wouldn't consider myself a great writer.

I hope I don't come across as ungrateful,...but if I do then I'll be glad to hear that I'm just overreacting and need to get off the internet for a bit.
What is the problem? You didn't get into your top choice, you didn't get into a T10 school, you don't like your school??
If your goal is to become a doctor, then there isn't really anything to complain about.
Congrats, btw

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Major/Minor:

SDNers should not fall into the trap of thinking "I won the French Open, why can't I win the US Open???" This is an Olympic caliber event and you're not going to be a medalist all the time.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Do something else with the rest of your year. Play videogames.
Black Friday is coming up. Probably a lot of sales. Can snag some great games for cheap, I bet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Any of the above could be a reason, but there is nothing you can do at this point. You have one A, so you will become a doctor. Maybe not the top choice, but much better than so many others (I have to keep telling myself the same thing).
I don't think 100+ clinical and 200+ non-clinical are read flags at all. I know several candidates with that kind of hours and have multiple IIs.

Someone above mentioned SDN rockstars...I think you're one of them cuz you have an acceptance already!

Remember a person might get more interviews then you but fail to convert them to acceptances. An A is amazing!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I literally have not read a single thing besides your headline and can easily answer this: you are unreasonably comparing yourself to others.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users