is there a retake in my future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about my scores big time.

the numbers:
perceptual ability = 16 :(
quantitative reasoning = 14 :(:(
reading comprehension = 22
biology = 19
gen chem = 17
organic chem = 18

total sciences = 18
academic average = 18

will my pat and quant scores kill me? i've heard these scores aren't weighed as much at some schools. where???

i'd love to get into schools like tufts, temple, nyu, and bu. btw my gpa is a 3.5 if that helps.

i'm not particularly interested in doing a retake.... (duh)
do you think i have a chance of getting in with these scores or should a plan on retaking in the future? i could really use some perspective...

thanks for your help! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm worried about my scores big time.

the numbers:
perceptual ability = 16 :(
quantitative reasoning = 14 :(:(
reading comprehension = 22
biology = 19
gen chem = 17
organic chem = 18

total sciences = 18
academic average = 18

will my pat and quant scores kill me? i've heard these scores aren't weighed as much at some schools. where???

i'd love to get into schools like tufts, temple, nyu, and bu. btw my gpa is a 3.5 if that helps.

i'm not particularly interested in doing a retake.... (duh)
do you think i have a chance of getting in with these scores or should a plan on retaking in the future? i could really use some perspective...

thanks for your help! :love:

Hey I think you'll have to retake. The PAT is low and the QR won't make cutoffs for many schools. The GCHEM might also be a concern as well. You're GPA is fine. You'll do fine next time around! I had similar scores as you on my first time

AA: 18 TS: 19 PAT: 15

retook and got

AA: 20 TS: 20 PAT: 18

def possible to do better. Good luck!

im usually the guy telling people to relax and not retake. but you should . no worries bro, you have a solid foundation, just fine tune a few sections and youre on your way to d school. gluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel for you man. Know that a lot of us retake and do much better the second time. At least for you you only have to fine tune a couple sections.

For the PAT this time around:

Get the 10 test version of Crack DAT Pat if you haven't. Run through all the tests and re practice the sections that you are weak on. Practice on timing. What I did was fine tune exactly how much time I would need per section and I wrote it up in the corner of my white board. After 4 tests or so and a lot of practice I finally had my ideal times for each section to shoot for. On the actual test I had extra time because I was so worried about timing when I was practicing.

Look deeply at this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528643&highlight=My+wicked+PAT+Tutorial

Put in the time every day into PAT and your confidence and score will improve dramatically.

For the QR section:

I did miserably the first time (15). My only goal was to get it to an 18 or above. I was not a math wizard and knew that I would never be one of those kids that destroys the QR section. That being said, get Math destroyer. It is the only resource I used.

To the OP, Good luck on retaking! Don't get discouraged, you know you can do this.

I just wanted to update my old thread... I recently retook the DAT and walked away with:

Bio 22 :luck:
Chem 22 :luck:
Orgo 19
PAT 18
QR 17
RC 21

TS 21
AA 20

Crack DAT PAT and Math Destroyer were essential to my improvement! I have no natural ability in those sections. :laugh: I also used Chads Vids, Destroyer, Cliffs AP Bio, Topscore, Alan's Notes, and the free QVAULT tests. Awesome materials! Thanks SDN for the recs! :thumbup:

FOR ALL THE RETAKERS, YOU CAN DO IT! Failure sucks, but you learn a lot from it. Hard work almost always pays off and you will be happier in the end.