Is there a specific residency for transplant surgery straight out of medical sc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PROBOSS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific specialty for transplant surgery? If not, how do you bece a transplant surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, but my question is are their any residency that would take one straight into transplant surgery, or is it just a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Transplant surgeons as a part of their practice have to do general surgery (particularly FOR their post op patients) anyway so there is no fast track! It's not like cardiac where they don't have to worry about general surgery much once they start their field

no shortcuts for this one... gotta do gen surg then fellowship.

Survivor DO

Transplant surgeons as a part of their practice have to do general surgery (particularly FOR their post op patients) anyway so there is no fast track! It's not like cardiac where they don't have to worry about general surgery much once they start their field

I always find it amusing when the they consult us for managing ileus. Didn't they do this for 5 years?

At my place they never call gen Surg. Ever. They handle all their own gen Surg peri op stuff amd even post op for a long time.