Is there a study guide type of thing for thw Vocabulary section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to prepare for the upcoming PCAT and would like to know if there's a book of vocabulary for me to study. I know verbal will be the hardest section for me, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nanali said:
I am trying to prepare for the upcoming PCAT and would like to know if there's a book of vocabulary for me to study. I know verbal will be the hardest section for me, thanks

I recommend a book called Verbal Advantage.

I really like a book called Word Power by Kaplan. It gives something like 50 lessons with a selection of words, sentences using them in context, pronounciation of the more difficult ones, and little quizzes/exercises at the end of each chapter to test yourself. It also divides the book into a couple of sections for the easier, tougher, and really obscure words.

But anyway, I found that to be very helpful! (especially since I feel my vocab is really pathetic!-at least compared to my family!)

Members don't see this ad :)
chloejane said:
I really like a book called Word Power by Kaplan. It gives something like 50 lessons with a selection of words, sentences using them in context, pronounciation of the more difficult ones, and little quizzes/exercises at the end of each chapter to test yourself. It also divides the book into a couple of sections for the easier, tougher, and really obscure words.

But anyway, I found that to be very helpful! (especially since I feel my vocab is really pathetic!-at least compared to my family!)

I recommend using a book like this, & also READING A LOT and looking up words & phrases that are new or unfamiliar to you. Sign up for the New York Times online (www.nytimes.com) & the Washington Post online (www.washingtonpost.com). Their writing standards are probably higher than your city's paper's are - I know they write on a higher level than the Phila. Inquirer does. When you come across a word you don't really know, just go to Webster's website (www.m-w.com) & look it up. I think reading is just as important as straight-up studying vocabulary words, because of the reading comprehension & sentence completions sections within the verbal portions on the PCAT & other standardized tests. You have to not only know the word itself, but you also have to have seen a couple of examples of how it's used in a sentence. I owe my performance in the verbal portions on standardized tests to the fact that I grew up reading almost all the time.

I agree with BTB completely!! I didn't address this, but another thing I did to study was read the news on-line, and whenever a word was used that I didn't know, wasn't clear on, ect. I looked it up at www.dictionary.com
This site also lets you look up the same word in the thesaurus. Anyway, good luck :)