Is there a test for DO's to become MD's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloha Kid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always heard rumors that there is some test that allows DO's to receive an MD license. I thought this was just a rumor until I relaized how many DO/MD's there are in the phone books. Is there a way for Do's to become MD's? Does anybody know about this? I know that California at one point in time allowed DO's to become MD's with a simple procesing fee? Is this still in effect?

Members don't see this ad.

There are no tests to allow a DO to become an MD. However, many DO's take the USMLE tests and do allopathic residencies. If you have a need for the MD initials, then apply to allopathic schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Muonwhiz,

As of now, if that opportunity were given me, then I would consider doing it. Go ahead and call it chasing initials and dishonorable if you like, but be assured I respect both professions and consider both legitimate and bonefied. I can promise you that you'll deal with a lot more people like me when you go to AZCOM. Thanks for your help in resolving my concerns.

P.S. I'm headed to AZCOM too. Oh! and don't forget Dr. Andrew Taylor Still DO/MD

If you really want to practice medicine then it doesnt matter if your a D.O or M.D I wouldnt waste my time trying to pursue both unless I was writing a book and wanted it to say "written by Rob Johnson M.D / D.O / PHD in biochemistry.

Is there a particular reason why you would like to change to an MD? I mean ...I am not asking this question in one of those disrespectful ways. I have several family members who are MDs. So I know both professions. Personally I love OMM. That was my main reason for being a DO. One of my seniors at NYCOM used to practice her OMM on me when she was in her first year and I just loved it. I think DOs have more exposure to OMM than MDs do. However,before I draw any conclusions, may I ask what is your reason to want an MD? I hope you are successful in whatever you want to do. Have a great day.

smile.gif