Is there a unique aspect of your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?

I have had this question on several secondaries thus far. What falls under the category of "unique"? Is this for disadvantaged or URM applicants? Not sure what to do.. Any ideas other than "leave it blank"? Just wondering what they are looking for, it's pretty ambiguous.

Members don't see this ad.

if there was some "unique" aspect about you or your application i think you would know exactly what to write as soon as you saw this question. the fact that you have to ask is probably an indicator that this question does not apply to you (which isn't a bad thing by the way)

Well, if it looked like the adcom is hinting that everyone should at least put something in this blank (some essays say they're optional, but you'd look like a ***** if you left it blank), then I would take some aspect of your profile and talk it up. If you have some strong clinical/research experience, then talk about that, because a lot of people lack some of those things (SDN is NOT the real world! not everyone has 1000+ hours of clinical experience and publications in Science!).

If there are lots of other essays and this is just a last touch, leave it blank. No need to blabber inanely if it was already covered.