is there a way to earn an income as an MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markboonya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is the schedule just too tough for any kind of part time job? has anyone at all had any kind of paying job while in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

markboonya said:
is the schedule just too tough for any kind of part time job? has anyone at all had any kind of paying job while in medical school?

You can work, but that will defiently impact your grades. And you would need a flexible job, where you can do maybe 1-2 shifts per month, and schedule your shifts, right after exams, when you have the most time to bounce back. But really I wouldn't reccommend working, except for vacations. Really the money you make will be peanuts, but it will set you back for studying. I wouldn't work unless you absolutely had to work. Good luck.

I continue to work as an EMT-I with a fire dept near my school. Night shifts and weekends are a must. As long as its not busy I get paid for sleeping and studying. I admit that most jobs are not so easy going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shodddy18 said:
I continue to work as an EMT-I with a fire dept near my school. Night shifts and weekends are a must. As long as its not busy I get paid for sleeping and studying. I admit that most jobs are not so easy going.
wow, how many night shifts do u do a week and on average, how many times do get up to respond to an emergency each night?

I work week nights once in a while... I usually work about 24 hours/ week. Either a 24 hour shift on the weekend or two 12s... fri/sat nights. The town I work for is really busy durring the summer months but slows down a lot durring the winter. I need the money so that is great, but the best part about continuing to work is that it is something entirely different from school so it is really destressing.

God blessed us all with moneymakers on the 7th day....we just need to shake em' a bit to be paid handsomly :p

Quite a few people in my class (myself included) are Teaching Assistants for undergrad classes. I probably work 6-9 hours/week and get paid very well for it. I did it my first year too and didn't have any problems with getting good grades. Will the extra money help with loans? No way! ...but it is really nice to have extra money for trips and such.

I make a little extra cash being a lab rat. In other words I'm part of a clinical trial testing a new vaccine. Its actually kind of cool. I get to be a part of bringing this new vaccine to people and make a little money at the same time.

you can always try donating sperm/eggs...

whats the point with working? you're going to only suck out any remaining free time you have left. Don't stress about the loans and money. Everyone is in the same boat.

Instead of hanging out and being lazy on Saturday nights I babysit. I usually net about $50 for the night and I end up getting some time to study. PLUS, I don't spend money at the bars that night.

read a few books and teach yourself to become a decent texas hold'em player. Thats what I do, make about 600/wk in my free time. Obviously, this isnt for everyone.

I bought some stock, and I fix/repair computers.

A lot of MS1's and MS2's teach MCAT prep.

TheMightyAngus said:
A lot of MS1's and MS2's teach MCAT prep.
ohh thats right. they make alot of moey. do a lot of schools allow u to TA for undergrad classes? that is something that i would love to do.

Here's something you could try if you are brave enough. Offer your services to various individuals in the class as they tend to become sexually frustrated over the course of the year. Just don't discriminate because your clientele might not like it.

On a serious note, there are a bunch of those computer help desk jobs that just require you to refill the printer with paper once in a while. Its great to make money and you can do some studying while ure there.

Tutoring is fun. I tutor at my school for a few hours a month. The great part about the job is I get paid for no-shows. And there are a lot of no-shows.

Being a tutor, I get respect for being knowledgeable-- something that doesn't happen at all in my everyday life. :rolleyes:

Did no one else have to sign a contract saying they wouldn't work while in med school? We did. I'm sure they're not checking up on us or anything, but it is certainly official medical school policy that we're not supposed to work. (You can apply for an exemption in cases of real hardship, I believe.)

markboonya said:

I started and ran a business in medical school. You can do anything if you set your mind and heart to the task at hand.

Some students work in a research lab. My advice, however, is to find work that is synergistic with your career goals.

On the other hand, although my business in medical school was in e-commerce, I didn't see how that would fit into my career as a physician until now. Perhaps any experiences that open your mind to new things will be useful in the future.

My EMT instructor was an MS-II. Aside from stressing a bit around exam times, she generally found it to be a pretty good gig, especially since the EMT course was taught in the evenings from 6-9 or 6-10, and it was only 2-3 nights a week.

She did an awesome job teaching anatomy and pharm. :D

PineappleGirl said:
My EMT instructor was an MS-II. Aside from stressing a bit around exam times, she generally found it to be a pretty good gig, especially since the EMT course was taught in the evenings from 6-9 or 6-10, and it was only 2-3 nights a week.

She did an awesome job teaching anatomy and pharm. :D
this is probably a stupid question, but i am guessing u have to an emt to teach emt? or was her ms1 schooling good enough?