is there a way to make A LOT of money as a doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are web sites out there that give average incomes for physcians after residency. There were plenty of specialties that made 500k plus. I think it was physcian salary.com or something like that.
sluox said:
i'm talking about $500,000 and up. (I'm asking this for a friend who just recently quit MDPHD and is now officially selling out)

there are a couple of things
(1) really competitive specialties with bad lifestyle is not in consideration: neurosurg, hair transplant, invasive cardiac care, rads etc
(2) no derm.
(3) preferrably no procedurally oriented specialties like OPTHO, etc

ie, is there a way for a internist in a cognitive specialty, psych, or peds to make $500,000, while not going into management consulting?

(please avoid the i want to help people, not make money rhetoric)

It sounds like you're asking if it's possible to make a lot of money without working very hard. Sure, it's possible...but there aren't going to be many who can pull that rabbit out of the hat (not legally, anyway). One thing that comes to mind is catering to the whims of the super-rich. Got connections? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
sluox said:
i'm talking about $500,000 and up. (I'm asking this for a friend who just recently quit MDPHD and is now officially selling out)

(1) really competitive specialties with bad lifestyle is not in consideration: neurosurg, hair transplant, invasive cardiac care, rads etc
(2) no derm.

ie, is there a way for a internist in a cognitive specialty, psych, or peds to make $500,000, while not going into management consulting?

lots of money without the work....... :idea:

the short answer to your question is yes.

...however, i might warn you that these activities are under close watch and you might end up doing some time in your local state penitentiary....

...i wouldnt recommend it. :laugh:

one more thing....

doctor's do hair transplants?

they make money this way?

if i had a savings of 10 mill after plucking hairs of some ladies legs and pits my entire life, i would consider it an entire life wasted, and there would be no way of buying that time back....but this is just me.

marcus_aurelius said:
one more thing....

if i had a savings of 10 mill after plucking hairs of some ladies legs and pits my entire life, i would consider it an entire life wasted, and there would be no way of buying that time back....but this is just me.
Hmmm...I gotta believe that hair transplantation does not involve the plucking of the armpit hair - yikes!

medschl hpeful said:
There are web sites out there that give average incomes for physcians after residency. There were plenty of specialties that made 500k plus. I think it was physcian salary.com or something like that.

Based on the attached link I found (first hit from Google, 2004 numbers), relatively few physician specialties make 500k+, and that is after a lot of years. Also bear in mind that survey incomes are averages, so a given doc could earn less. The specialties the OP suggested tend not to be the top of the scale.

http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm

Flopotomist said:
Hmmm...I gotta believe that hair transplantation does not involve the plucking of the armpit hair - yikes!

But where do they get the new hair from?

Okay wait I'm going to go look this up...

:idea:

All right, it looks like they get the hair from the sides and back of your head, not your armpits. :p Thank god.

Half way through second year, I would have done something else for the money if that was what I wanted. I am sure glad I didn't go to medical school for the money, because if so, I would have already dropped out. However, if you want to go into a speciality for the money, go right on ahead. I have heard of family doc's making that much. You just have to have more of a business sense to do that, but it is possible. Do what you want & I think if you are looking for money then it will be there, no matter what speciality.

Anesthesia w/ a private pain management clinc could be explected to make a killing after it's been established.

I don't know about the others but for psych, if you do private practice pharmacology (quick appointments) in a wealthy community, I know you can do very well. I'm not sure if its $500,000+ well but certainly more than a psychiatrist who does therapy and more community work. Also, if you start doing work for drug companies (speaking engagements, run drug trials), you can bring in quite a bit.

marcus_aurelius said:
one more thing....

i guess i wasnt awake while writing this post...for some reason i kept thinking about hair electrolysis.

well, thanks for catching me on that.

promptly throw this "friend" off of a bridge please.

then, as they are falling tell them to look into ophtho and any procedure intense specialty. (you bill a lot for procedures) an example is pain management (lots of spine/joint injections) or aesthetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know of one way... but involves being on ones knees... :p

fun8stuff said:
i know of one way... but involves being on ones knees... :p

that must come from personal experience!

YouDontKnowJack said:
that must come from personal experience!

yes it does... your mom pays very well! :D

The storm on the horizon in medicine is the disparity in billing between procedures and talking. In the last 20 years or so, the mean physician salary has considerably outstripped the median. Which means there are a few docs out there that make a killing, while the rest do well, but aren't getting super wealthy. The ones making a killing are doing a lot of procedures. The rest are doing a lot of unbillable talking. Both important to good medicine, right? But an inequitable distribution of income which leads to an untenable resentment among docs and by patients of docs and thus damages public/patient trust in the medical profession.

(paraphrased from a professionalism talk we had last fall, if you're interested I could go looking for citations)

fun8stuff said:
You.........didn't.............just make..............a............"your mama".............joke..............did..................you??

Infectious diseases....nuff said

bigfrank said:
You.........didn't.............just make..............a............"your mama".............joke..............did..................you??
Not just a "your mama" joke, but even better a really lame one that makes little sense. Touche. :laugh:

liverotcod said:
Not just a "your mama" joke, but even better a really lame one that makes little sense. Touche. :laugh:

well, your mom seemed to think it was funny when i told her lastnight. ;)

fun8stuff said:
well, your mom seemed to think it was funny when i told her lastnight. ;)
Oh yeah? Well, your mother was a hamster. :D

sluox said:

(2) no derm.

Probably if you take over an established practice yeah I'm sure. Or marry rich!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

But in honest reality.........I'd doubt that something like a primary care doc will make the big bucks as easily, when their avg pay right now is less then 200k a year.

Most of the money in medicine comes from doing procedure based medicine or from being in a position where you're on the management side such as the case of the two cardiologists I know in my home town of whom are huge partners in their practice, if not the founder of the partnership and medical centers where they work.

So I'd say you're being unrealistic to think primary care would get that kinda money as easily as procedure based medicine.

sluox said:

(2) no derm.

I'm going to have to give the official hippy response. I grew up in the richest area of manhattan. I went to the best schools. My classmates had parents that had a billion or more, including one who owned a major sports team (comparable to the Mets). One of my closest friends from high school's family was incredibly wealthy too. And let me tell you what being close to the ultra weath has sent into my bones. IT'S STUPID!

I could never communicate my experiences into a stupid ass web forum, but I can echo the lesson learned. The wealthiest tend to be the most arrogant, complacent, and have the most disfunctional families. Trust me. To aim just for wealth is absurd. It turns into a stupid competition among losers with more money than you. It turns into being surrounded by siccophants. It turns into nothings happy. Sure six figures points to something of a better life than less. But more doesn't. It points to greed. It points to lost children. It points to less. So stumble into that wealth, and okay. But shoot for that, and you're a crack addict to me.

Ubadub said:
I'm going to have to give the official hippy response. I grew up in the richest area of manhattan. I went to the best schools. My classmates had parents that had a billion or more, including one who owned a major sports team (comparable to the Mets). One of my closest friends from high school's family was incredibly wealthy too. And let me tell you what being close to the ultra weath has sent into my bones. IT'S STUPID!

I could never communicate my experiences into a stupid ass web forum, but I can echo the lesson learned. The wealthiest tend to be the most arrogant, complacent, and have the most disfunctional families. Trust me. To aim just for wealth is absurd. It turns into a stupid competition among losers with more money than you. It turns into being surrounded by siccophants. It turns into nothings happy. Sure six figures points to something of a better life than less. But more doesn't. It points to greed. It points to lost children. It points to less. So stumble into that wealth, and okay. But shoot for that, and you're a crack addict to me.

I understand where you are coming from on some levels and disagree on others.

Although I don't know any billionaires per say, I do know many many multimillionaire successful doctors. I find that many of these doctors are as arrogant as you describe, but I don't know if I'd say all of them have dysfunctional families. There are a couple here and there, but by an ironic twist of faith a lot of the kids tend to be surprisingly more mature then the other kids I know and value education a lot more. But what gets to me is the arrogance that the wealthy parents display in public. They have a lot of things money can buy, but they don't know how to enjoy life. When they come to parties, they don't seem to interact well with the other non wealthy people and when they invite you to a party it is nowhere near as fun as the parties that I've seen some of the more middle class people like my family put on. In fact, let's give an example here. My parents often put on parties for New Years as so do a lot of the other middle class people. When people come to our house, including the richer people, they actually have a good time and what not and let loose. But at a party at one of the wealthier people's house this year, for the same occassion, not one single person was really interested in dancing. Furthermore, most people were bored and the couple that threw the party has been known to give parties with such bad outcomes many many times in the past. Their house felt more like a show piece castle then a home. There was no warmth or coziness in it.

I think being wealthy has its advantages and disadvantages, but once you get to a certain point, it doesn't matter how much you earn. But to each their own. Each individual has their own reasons for doing some thing and I suppose we shouldn't be preaching because everyone's idea of fulfillment is different.

Ubadub said:

I guess to offer a follow up to my comments is a simple question: What are trying to buy?

Some want a really really nice house. But they're looking for power. And to those readers, please, and i mean this, get a life.

This is one of those subjects I can get most righteous about. Challenge me with your great ideas about what 1 mill/yr can buy that 100 thou can't.

fun8stuff said:

:laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: damn.....good comeback!...are u insinuating a manly Mom.

Ubadub said:
I guess to offer a follow up to my comments is a simple question: What are trying to buy?

Some want a really really nice house. But they're looking for power. And to those readers, please, and i mean this, get a life.

This is one of those subjects I can get most righteous about. Challenge me with your great ideas about what 1 mill/yr can buy that 100 thou can't.

if u're friend is a girl, she's really ugly.

if u're friend is a guy, he's normal....drive behavior.

u cant work against thousands of years of evolution.

marcus_aurelius said:

Can't say I know what you're talking about. You talking about my friend I mentioned in my post you didn't quote?

marcus_aurelius said:

You know what definitely works against thousands of yrs of evolution...monogamy.

sluox said:

(2) no derm.

I don't know what type of training a hair transplanter (transplantist? transplantator? transplantationizer?) has, but I don't imagine there are many nights/weekends/holidays involved. Also, rads is known as a pretty good lifestyle specialty. of course, you axed two of the classics (derm and opHtho) right off the bat and suggested peds, IM and psych--three of the best ways to NOT "make A LOT of money as a doc." :rolleyes:

Ubadub said:

Why do so many people on these boards attack future Doctors that want to make a lot of money? It doesnt make sense to me. Im not saying go into the medical profession simply to make money,because I think that will be a huge mistake in the end, but why is it so bad for that to be a plus and something to strive for?

MarzH05 said:
Why do so many people on these boards attack future Doctors that want to make a lot of money? It doesnt make sense to me. Im not saying go into the medical profession simply to make money,because I think that will be a huge mistake in the end, but why is it so bad for that to be a plus and something to strive for?

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with making a lot of money and loving your job!

Ubadub said:
Sure six figures points to something of a better life than less. But more doesn't. It points to greed. It points to lost children. It points to less. So stumble into that wealth, and okay. But shoot for that, and you're a crack addict to me.

I just want to be like Kevin Federline.... and drive a Ferrari that I didn't buy.
and rap to popozao

Being rich is the ****! It must be comfortable. :thumbup:

YouDontKnowJack said:
I just want to be like Kevin Federline.... and drive a Ferrari that I didn't buy.
and rap to popozao

Being rich is the ****! It must be comfortable. :thumbup:

Nobody should aspire to be like Kevin. He is the biggest douchebag in the world.

Eh anyone in any other job gets to work at something they want and make as much money as they can without people harping on them. Medicine isn't any different, just another job. And quite obviously 1 mill can buy you more than 100k, 900k more to be exact :laugh:

Ubadub said:
You know what definitely works against thousands of yrs of evolution...monogamy.

are you flirting with me? :love:

is this some kind of a proposition :love: ;)

i hope your not a guy

Megboo said:
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with making a lot of money and loving your job!

deep down inside i am greedy. we are all greedy...part of nature. anyone who says they are not in medicine for money at all is a dirty lier.

but chances are that i am also too lazy to make anything over 250k...ever!

so i'd say u make 100k, u get a little more time to enjoy yourself if u're idea of enjoyment is watching t.v....which mine is. u make 1 mill. the time is compensated in money, but in your one week of vacation, u fly to hawaii and get a body wax from a dozen hot hula dancers. either way, u give up time or money, take u're pick (of course this isnt an exact formula). the million dollar man will probably be coming home to an infinitely hotter wife, but hey, that's the price to pay for less ambition.

if i could work as hard as the 100k guy and make 3 mil, i wouldnt complain or give the money back to anyone. ...like i said, i'm greedy, i'd rather get a personal Swedish maseuse who looked like Tiger Wood's wife.

MarzH05 said:
Nobody should aspire to be like Kevin. He is the biggest douchebag in the world.

i'd say he's nothing short of a miracle......common man with a good body gets with Britney Spears....one of the world's most desirable "Catholic school girls" ...not only that but she pampers him with her money AND he impregnates her....holy $hit, this guy played a fast one on evolution....he's the "trophy husband.".....he sucks at rapping and yeah, maybe he resembles a douche pad...but let's be serious here, what guy wouldnt want to trade places with him, just for a few years of gettin some action from the lovely Britney Spears!...i just might donate one of my testicles for that. :love:

There are ways to make money in ALL specialties but you must 1.) Know the business end of the world well and 2.) Have a lot of capital to start and lose money the first 6 months - 1 year

You need capital and you need to know who to hire, what procedures to conduct, etc.

If you don't know any of this, you MUST go with the high-end specialties or else there is no other way imho.

About Mr. Spears and his Ferrari, check out how it broke down this weekend in CA http://hackedphones.com/gallery2/v/celebrity/S/britney_spears/

gujuDoc said:
Probably if you take over an established practice yeah I'm sure. Or marry rich!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

But in honest reality.........I'd doubt that something like a primary care doc will make the big bucks as easily, when their avg pay right now is less then 200k a year.

Most of the money in medicine comes from doing procedure based medicine or from being in a position where you're on the management side such as the case of the two cardiologists I know in my home town of whom are huge partners in their practice, if not the founder of the partnership and medical centers where they work.

So I'd say you're being unrealistic to think primary care would get that kinda money as easily as procedure based medicine.

My exgf had 4million already in her name, her dad sick distributed the millions early. We were together for years, my friends wanted to kill me when i dumped her, but f**ck that my dignity and integrity mean more, the b**tch was crazy and was a compulsive lier, not to mention she cheated with someone she didnt even like and made fun of how small his pee pee was, then went to find out she is just a sociopath was chattin with guys online, doing crazy ****, look up the word sociopath man she fits it perfectly, i dumped her 2 years ago and she is still in my ass, sometimes i think hmmmm maybe i shoulda married the biaatach for a month or so and invested my half :laugh: but yet again my god damn conscious and ego, i can still get her in a split second she always over my a$$ even after having 3 gfs after her, but i settle for the pleasure of her millionaire a$$ getting on her knees and doing u know what then putting myself down and my integrity and marrying a pycho for money, but yet again, maybe my friends were right :confused:

Ubadub said:

I second you, the wealthy biaaatch exgf had the biggest house in the city, but when i got to know the inside scope she made it seem like a horror house, never think those BMW driving huge house multi-millionaires are happy, its all just a front, she even told me, our family fronts in front of people like we perfect and all jolly, at home no one talks to no one, my dad hits my mom and i hate all my siblings :scared: not to mention she has no real friends, superficial lets shop rich together friends and after the break up she grew crazier, depression, eating disorder, etc... she even admits she is crazy but too scared to see a pych cause her parents prob beat her ass for the stigma, cause THE MILLIONAIRES like to always pretend like they perfect, heck i want money to pay my bills but I dont care about millions, i went to a rich rich university on scholarship and trust me i met plenty of wealthy wealthy WEALTHY depressed people, its crazy when you get the inside scoop, looks and what you see is always deceiving. :rolleyes:

marcus_aurelius said:
deep down inside i am greedy. we are all greedy...part of nature. anyone who says they are not in medicine for money at all is a dirty lier.

but chances are that i am also too lazy to make anything over 250k...ever!

so i'd say u make 100k, u get a little more time to enjoy yourself if u're idea of enjoyment is watching t.v....which mine is. u make 1 mill. the time is compensated in money, but in your one week of vacation, u fly to hawaii and get a body wax from a dozen hot hula dancers. either way, u give up time or money, take u're pick (of course this isnt an exact formula). the million dollar man will probably be coming home to an infinitely hotter wife, but hey, that's the price to pay for less ambition.

if i could work as hard as the 100k guy and make 3 mil, i wouldnt complain or give the money back to anyone. ...like i said, i'm greedy, i'd rather get a personal Swedish maseuse who looked like Tiger Wood's wife.

:laugh: Well, having money doesn't always equal being a jerk about it! If I made a lot of money, I would probably not live in a mansion (think of the cost to heat/cool somethign liek that!). I would definitely give my family things they probably wouldn't have otherwise - nice car, some nice toys (God I love to snowmobile!), definitely money for a nice education. The biggest thing, though, would be travel. I want my kids to see the world as they are forming opinions of life. And, unfortunately, it takes money to travel.

I also want to own my own business, which means a potential pay-off for working long hours.

It's pretty bad to assume that because someone wants to live well that they will be wasteful, too. I can't stand the kids on "My sweet 16" on MTV - that is a lifestyle I will not have. I grew up in the country, and will always live in the country. I just don't have to live in a farm house or drive a tractor. Any money I earn is MY money - I have the right to spend it as I want.

marcus_aurelius said:
i'd say he's nothing short of a miracle......common man with a good body gets with Britney Spears....one of the world's most desirable "Catholic school girls" ...not only that but she pampers him with her money AND he impregnates her....holy $hit, this guy played a fast one on evolution....he's the "trophy husband.".....he sucks at rapping and yeah, maybe he resembles a douche pad...but let's be serious here, what guy wouldnt want to trade places with him, just for a few years of gettin some action from the lovely Britney Spears!...i just might donate one of my testicles for that. :love:

Have you seen Britney lately? No thank you. He can keep that.

MarzH05 said:
Have you seen Britney lately? No thank you. He can keep that.

he got it while it was hot

now he's droppin it like it aint...

...actually, she's dropping him which makes him even luckier....

...he becomes a rich man overnight.

...Britney's career might just come to an end. I'd be happy bc i'm sick of that teeny bopper stuff. what ever happened to guns n roses man?

Megboo said:
:laugh: Well, having money doesn't always equal being a jerk about it! If I made a lot of money, I would probably not live in a mansion (think of the cost to heat/cool somethign liek that!). I would definitely give my family things they probably wouldn't have otherwise - nice car, some nice toys (God I love to snowmobile!), definitely money for a nice education. The biggest thing, though, would be travel. I want my kids to see the world as they are forming opinions of life. And, unfortunately, it takes money to travel.

I also want to own my own business, which means a potential pay-off for working long hours.

It's pretty bad to assume that because someone wants to live well that they will be wasteful, too. I can't stand the kids on "My sweet 16" on MTV - that is a lifestyle I will not have. I grew up in the country, and will always live in the country. I just don't have to live in a farm house or drive a tractor. Any money I earn is MY money - I have the right to spend it as I want.

its u're money, i suppose u could spend it on whatever u want

i dont think its fair to say they are jerks just bc they spend their money differently

Ubadub said:

For those of us who are married and have kids, and who love to fly, a mill/yr can buy an airplane (nice single or twin), which runs on average 200-500 thousand.

A 100 thou/yr most certainly cannot (first hand experience).

marcus_aurelius said:
its u're money, i suppose u could spend it on whatever u want

i dont think its fair to say they are jerks just bc they spend their money differently

Yeah, I think that's what I was saying, too. Maybe you misunderstood me?

And I totally agree with the plane example -

I would love to get my pilot's license and have a small plane, but yeah, VERY expensive.