Is there a way to write off uncompensated care for tax purposes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habeed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to underinsurance and uninsured, many patients cannot pay their medical bills.

Suppose we have "Joe the E.R. doctor". Now, Joe works 12 hours a day, 3000 hours a year. His time as an attending physician is worth about $75 an hour.

But, about 1/3 of Joes patients don't pay Joe anything, directly or indirectly. Can poor Joe the doctor here write off the $75,000 in free labor that he is forced to provide, thanks to EMTLA, from his taxes?

That would help Joe out immensely, because he would save about $30,000 in taxes, compensating him partially for the 1000 hours a year that Joe spends working for free.

I am pretty sure I know what the answer is to the plight of poor "Joe the doctor".

Members don't see this ad.

No, unfortunately not... at least no way that I have been able to find. I wish that there were; it would at least lessen the sting of working for free.

Thanks to underinsurance and uninsured, many patients cannot pay their medical bills.

Suppose we have "Joe the E.R. doctor". Now, Joe works 12 hours a day, 3000 hours a year. His time as an attending physician is worth about $75 an hour.

But, about 1/3 of Joes patients don't pay Joe anything, directly or indirectly. Can poor Joe the doctor here write off the $75,000 in free labor that he is forced to provide, thanks to EMTLA, from his taxes?

That would help Joe out immensely, because he would save about $30,000 in taxes, compensating him partially for the 1000 hours a year that Joe spends working for free.

I am pretty sure I know what the answer is to the plight of poor "Joe the doctor".

The good news is Joe works 12 hours a day, 3-4 days a week for $160/hour, so even though 10-40% don't pay, he still gets a livable wage and doesn't own a pager.

The bad news is even those guys who don't pay can still sue.

If I could write off uncompensated care, I would pay no taxes...

I can only imagine such a wonderful day.