Is there any advantage to submitting your photo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if we get an advantage to sending photos for secondaries. I wasn't going to do it for the schools that have it optional...but should i?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay so if i do submit one, what kind does it have to be? do I have to go somewhere and take it or can i crop and paste myself out of a photo i already have?

Like those you'd find for passports

okay so if i do submit one, what kind does it have to be? do I have to go somewhere and take it or can i crop and paste myself out of a photo i already have?

You don't have to go get it taken somewhere. Just use a nice picture you have of yourself.

Pretty sure you can just crop one. I think being able to see your face will help whoever interviewed you when they discuss you with the rest of the admissions committee. Just make it a nice photo.

If you look like my avatar, yes.

I'm pretty sure it's just, as they say, to attach a face to a name... although I'm sure you can give some sort of impression depending on how you present yourself.

They may want to make sure that black people are really black.

You know, the world doesn't discriminate on self-reported race.

If you look like my avatar, yes.

I'm pretty sure it's just, as they say, to attach a face to a name... although I'm sure you can give some sort of impression depending on how you present yourself.

Automatic acceptance.

make sure it looks somewhat professional. they may use the pictures for other, more public purposes in the future. I've seen posters and flyers with the pictures of the incoming class, and the photos came from those they submitted with secondaries.

Um, better question... why wouldn't you want to submit one?

Why would you want to? I specifically never enter my race on any form because I prefer not to have anyone judge me based on it. If they want to see what I look like, they can invite me for an interview. The pre-interview screening process should be all about how you look on paper, and the interview is what gives some personality to your application

My adviser showed us a chart of MCAT scores and GPAs by race...

The highest category was the one that had No Response as theirs :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
My adviser showed us a chart of MCAT scores and GPAs by race...

The highest category was the one that had No Response as theirs :scared:

I don't think I had an option for no response... it's what I normally prefer. No response is generally people of any race who don't want any special consideration (or white people who don't think it should play a part).

ive always been told its harder to reject a face than a number (which is what you are without a photo)

i made mind my graduation photo

I was just wondering if we get an advantage to sending photos for secondaries. I wasn't going to do it for the schools that have it optional...but should i?

Yes. Make sure it's professionally done.

Use your favorite weekend rager facebook picture lol

I don't think there's any advantage to uploading a photo.

However, there's probably a disadvantage to NOT uploading a photo on account of them asking for it and you not providing it.

Yes. Make sure it's professionally done.

I'm actually a Hollister model (yeah, seriously) and submitted one of the professional photos of me from Hollister... I hope they don't think it's a joke or something. and I hope they don't think I'm superficial either...

depends, are you ugly?

I'm actually a Hollister model (yeah, seriously) and submitted one of the professional photos of me from Hollister... I hope they don't think it's a joke or something. and I hope they don't think I'm superficial either...

I think they want a passport style photo. Straight on shot of the face, no profile or 3/4 views.

Evidence?

For a few of mine, I sent in a picture of me wearing a suit as part of a larger family portrait. My latest ones, I actually cropped myself from a digital picture and simply printed on photo paper.

I wonder how many people touch up their secondary photos in photoshop. Who's guilty??

Yup, I need to use that spot healing brush for those pimples.

I just went to walgreens, got a few passport style pics done for the schools that need the actual ones posted, and scanned one of the pics to upload. done and done.

I just went to walgreens, got a few passport style pics done for the schools that need the actual ones posted, and scanned one of the pics to upload. done and done.

Hm, Walgreens isn't that great. You're better off with a professional (fashion) photographer not some dude who has a cheap digital camera and a white screen. This service is good for people who have $$$.

Hm, Walgreens isn't that great. You're better off with a professional (fashion) photographer not some dude who has a cheap digital camera and a white screen. This service is good for people who have $$$.

I have a bunch of professional photos, but I would not (and didn't) submit them in my secondaries - I don't think they're very appropriate or that they're what schools are looking for.
It would be funny if someone does do this though (especially if he/she actually hires a photographer)...

Last edited:
I have a bunch of professional photos, but I would not (and didn't) submit them in my secondaries - I don't think they're very appropriate or that it's what schools are looking for.
It would be funny if someone does though (especially if he/she actually hires a photographer)...

Professional photographers could shoot passport style photos if they want to and the quality would be significantly better. It doesn't mean that you have to be in the poses that they want.

I guess it helps as they can better recognize your face when deciding which guy to fill up a seat.

If the adcom is a chick, my bodyspace.bodybuilding.com profile picture would be instant win.