Is there any benefit for me staying in state? (Texas resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say for example I get accepted to both UIWSOM and LECOM (I currently have interviews for both). LECOM is WAY cheaper than UIWSOM which makes it pretty attractive. UIWSOM is about 56k per year tution and LECOM is around 32k. However, UIWSOM is in my home state of Texas, and im not sure if that will give me any benefits later on. I think I heard if I go to med school in Texas then ill have a better chance for a competitive residency? Im not sure how that works. I just wanted to know if there would be any benefits for me staying in Texas for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about how you Texans do things as far as medical school and matching and what not but I would have to go with LECOM myself.
1. It's cheaper (you'll save 96k overall)
2. LECOM is more established (1992 vs 2015)
3. Despite everyone hating on LECOM on SDN, their match list isn't half bad tbh. It's mostly people complaining about the dress code and the no drinks/food in lecture policy

However, staying in Texas may be better personally for you... it's closer to home, possibly a familiar area for you, etc. These are all things to consider. I wish you the best of luck in your interviews and in your decision. I know this didn't answer if there are any perks to staying in Texas but I hope it helped somewhat.

A point to note is that as a Texas grad you'll be given preference over OOS graduates for residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about how you Texans do things as far as medical school and matching and what not but I would have to go with LECOM myself.
1. It's cheaper (you'll save 96k overall)
2. LECOM is more established (1992 vs 2015)
3. Despite everyone hating on LECOM on SDN, their match list isn't half bad tbh. It's mostly people complaining about the dress code and the no drinks/food in lecture policy

However, staying in Texas may be better personally for you... it's closer to home, possibly a familiar area for you, etc. These are all things to consider. I wish you the best of luck in your interviews and in your decision. I know this didn't answer if there are any perks to staying in Texas but I hope it helped somewhat.

Ya I am leaning toward's LECOM myself as I haven't found too much convincing evidence to keep me in Texas. The main thing that's attracting me is that cheap cheap tuition.

A point to note is that as a Texas grad you'll be given preference over OOS graduates for residencies.

Is there any benefit to being in texas for residency? Like are competitive specialties less competitive in Texas?

I think I heard if I go to med school in Texas then ill have a better chance for a competitive residency? Im not sure how that works. I just wanted to know if there would be any benefits for me staying in Texas for medical school.
Is there any benefit to being in texas for residency? Like are competitive specialties less competitive in Texas?

Residencies, especially Texas ones, usually take people that want to stay there. Being a Texan is strong enough evidence.

I assumed you wanted to stay in Texas for residency/practice. If you don't then I'd suggest going to LECOM.