Is there any benefit to becoming EMT-B certified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenoobrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am planning to become EMT-B next summer (just finished my freshman year). Between two majors and two minors and ten hours of working at a lab a week, I won't have time to take it during the school year.
However, I don't know if I will have time to volunteer/work as an EMT-B. I definitely won't have time during the school and if I become certified next summer, I'll only have one summer to volunteer before it's time to apply for medical school.
Before anyone starts throwing negative comments around (oh you're just becoming certified to boost your resume), let me say that becoming emt-b is a huge time commitment (20 hours a week for 7 weeks) and gets you a lot of hands-on experience. That is why I want to be certified in the first place even though I know I don't have the time to do anything with it.
I am really interested in becoming emt-b certified but I am worried that I won't have anything to talk about just from taking the emt-b course.
Should I do this or just take a class for one of my minors and volunteer at a hospital and shadow for a few days?

Members don't see this ad.

Many applicants apply with emt experience. Being certified and not using it doesn't really do much for you. I was certified and did not use it at all. I didn't even mention it in my app besides that it was an undergraduate course that I took.

It is cool to know the stuff though. I have been able to help a few of random people because I knew what to do. A couple of diabetic attacks and a minor trauma. If you aren't going to use it but want to take it to learn the stuff, then just do it. But as far med school apps go, it isn't doing anything for you.