Is there any benefit to being chief resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iDoc12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was just discussing this with some other residents today. Do you guys see any benefit of being chief resident? I know some programs do rotating chief, but is there a benefit to apply in the programs that do 1 single chief?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Was just discussing this with some other residents today. Do you guys see any benefit of being chief resident? I know some programs do rotating chief, but is there a benefit to apply in the programs that do 1 single chief?

I would love to know the answer to this. I want to do it because I'm interested in academics, and would like the leadership opportunity. See how I handle the admin tasks and whatever...

At our institute, chief residents are appointed, not elected. I would assume this is the case at most places. It may help when applying for fellowship in getting interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
I was chief resident and loved the experience. Possible benefits include:

Respect from your co-residents
Respect from your attendings
Prestige
May help with fellowship or job applications
Chance to develop / hone leadership skills
Chance to attend faculty meetings and observe how an academic dept is run
Chance to take the lead in teaching students and residents

Reactions: 1 user
I was chief resident and loved the experience. Possible benefits include:

Respect from your co-residents
Respect from your attendings
Prestige
May help with fellowship or job applications
Chance to develop / hone leadership skills
Chance to attend faculty meetings and observe how an academic dept is run
Chance to take the lead in teaching students and residents

I agree with most of this. However I do think it's highly dependent on the structure of your program and the role the chef is given within that program. Chief resident seems to be different everywhere.

At my program the role of chief seems to be a huge challenge. I hope they pick me!!

I agree with most of this. However I do think it's highly dependent on the structure of your program and the role the chef is given within that program. Chief resident seems to be different everywhere.

At my program the role of chief seems to be a huge challenge. I hope they pick me!!

Yes this is true. It's entirely program dependent.

There are two different types of "chief resident". One is where they just choose a 3rd year resident to deal with all the admin tasks that the P.D. doesn't want to deal with. The 2nd type of "chief resident" is where someone devotes an entire extra year of their life to being a sort of mini-attending who staffs the residents, deals with all the open globes, while also managing their schedule. This latter type of chief resident is more prevalent among bigger programs.

Both come with the benefit of harboring good/better relationships with the faculty, which is rewarded with a great LOR. Many people do it to improve their C.V. before a competitive match (e.g. Oculoplastics or Retina). I guess the third type of "chief resident" is where someone goes off and does their fellowship, and then comes back to their original residency (e.g. Wilmer) to serve an entire year as that mini-attending.

I think the only way I would consider doing one myself is if I was staying in academics or thought I couldn't match in a competitive fellowship. Otherwise, it is a year of lost income with very little gain in your surgical skills.

Traditionally, the final year of surgery residency was the chief resident year where the chief resident of each of the hospitals decided who did what surgery cases that day or week. Traditionally, internal medicine residencies had 1-2 chief residents only.

Are we surgeons or internists? I like the surgery mentality. It also results in all graduates of the program getting the chief resident title and responsibilities.