is there any chance for international students to get into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deanza1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one
I'm international student. I heard that it's extremely difficult for intl student to get into pharmacy school. Some even said that pharmacy school didn't accept itl students. I'm really concerned about this issue.:confused: Is there anyone having friends who are intl students getting into pharmacy schools?
Besides, I'm planning to transfer to a csu school as it's less expensive than uc. Does it decrease the chance of being accepted to pharm.school?
One more thing, I intend to major in Bioengineering, is it a good choice for preparation to Pharm ?(many of my friends go for biochem)
I also wonder if international students are allowed to volunteer to work in pharmacy stores to earn experience.( intl are not allowed to work off campus)
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to find the schools which do accept international students. Many pharmacy schools are hesitant to accept them because you don't qualify for any federal financial aid. You just have to work hard.

I had the same worries since I am too an international student. It's true that there are less schools that accept international students, and it is usually more difficult for international students to get into public pharm schools. You will have better chance at applying to private schools, because most of them do not care whether you are in or out of state. (So go for private schools! It's almost the same price anyways) I hear that some public schools do accept international students, but a very very few. As far as volunteering goes, you can volunteer anywhere since you are not being paid to work. Working only matters when you are getting paid, cuz you have to deal with tax issues. And for major, I think any science related major is a good choice. Don't worry too much and just focus on doing your best! I too thought at one point that it might just be impossible, but it is, and it's a good feeling when it happens cuz you know you worked extra hard for it. Good luck and don't give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I am an international student but I have interviewed at 2 different schools. I don't think it makes a difference in terms of admission. I think I got the same consideration than any other student. Just work hard and be involved.
I go to a UC school. I don't really know if transfering to a CSU makes that much of a difference but I chose not to transfer because I felt that for my major, my school was the best for me.

Good luck and PM if you guys have any questions.

I have been accepted at one of the schools but I interviewed for my #1 choice this saturday and I am crossing my fingers that I will get in there!

Take Care

I'm also an international student..
It's true that it's much harder for international students to get into pharmacy schools (considering the stats) but it's not impossible at all.
I applied to 5 pharmacy schools in total and got interview invitations from all the schools. I just got accepted into U of Arizona, a public university and my top choice.

So.. you just have to work really hard for it, but it is not impossible...
As for the pharmacy experience, you can volunteer or work off campus with precompletion OPT.

hope it helps

Hey .. You guys international students, how can you afford to pay pharmacy school even if you get in? I thought about doing this years ago but gave up after realizing the financial difficulties. I wasn't born in a rich family back in my home country.

Private pharmacy schools/out-of-state tuition would cost like "millions" in my currency.

Are your daddy/mommy paying for it?

As for pharmacy experience, ask pharmacists at local retail pharmacy store. You don't need to have work permit to shadow them. However, it's not as important as getting good grades and having good PCAT score.

Hey .. You guys international students, how can you afford to pay pharmacy school even if you get in? I thought about doing this years ago but gave up after realizing the financial difficulties. I wasn't born in a rich family back in my home country.

Private pharmacy schools/out-of-state tuition would cost like "millions" in my currency.

As for pharmacy experience, ask pharmacists at local retail pharmacy store. You don't need to have work permit to shadow them. However, it's not as important as getting good grades and having good PCAT score.

But still, I am international student too, and my dad will pay for me. Plus, I know several international students get into pharm school before me. Just get high GPA, PCAT, and TOEFL, I think it will be fine. I am applying to University of Florida and NOVA. I hope to hear from them soon.

I will be coming to the US to study as an international student, and I don't have rich parents either.. but they are willing to co-sign a line of credit for me with the understanding that it is solely my responsibility to pay back in the future. It is a huge risk financially (even tho I got accepted to a private school so I'm paying the same as other students).. but hopefully it'll pay off!

As for the chances of an international student getting in, I've heard it's much harder for state-funded public schools, so I didn't even bother applying to any of that and only applied to private schools that did not discriminate where you came from.

So if you're an international student what are your plans exactly? Graduate in the US and then work here? Just curious on why international students want to study here, specially for those who will be going back after school.

So if you're an international student what are your plans exactly? Graduate in the US and then work here? Just curious on why international students want to study here, specially for those who will be going back after school.
Partially because of prestige....

I am an international student too! I came to the U.S. last August and apply for Pharmacy school immediately 3 months after arrival. I apply for 7 pharmacy schools. 3 pharmacy schools did not interview me.

I only got my interviews at Purdue University (4th in the U.S.) and University of Maryland (8th in the U.S.). Both of them are public schools and/or State schools. Finally I am now put on the waitlist for both of them.

GPA: 4.00
PCAT: 84 composite
TOEFL: 102 IBT

I don't have rich parents either.. but they are willing to co-sign a line of credit for me with the understanding that it is solely my responsibility to pay back in the future. It is a huge risk financially (even tho I got accepted to a private school so I'm paying the same as other students).. but hopefully it'll pay off!

Good luck on your endeavors !!
Wow... you have dedicated parents!!. I should have tried this years ago. I should have asked my aunt/dad to co-sign for me..
But they're not US permanent residen and are out of the countryt, so I don't know if that would work..
Are you planning to get H1B and work after graduation?

If I remember correctly, you're Taiwanese, right? :)

Good luck on your endeavors !!
Wow... you have dedicated parents!!. I should have tried this years ago. I should have asked my aunt/dad to co-sign for me..
But they're not US permanent residen and are out of the countryt, so I don't know if that would work..
Are you planning to get H1B and work after graduation?

If I remember correctly, you're Taiwanese, right? :)

ya I was born in Taiwan but lived in Canada for over 10 yrs.. so I have dual citizenship. Which makes everything easier US-wise since there are a lot more exceptions and shortcuts for Canadians.:)

I haven't quite figured out what's happening after grad yet, I can either stay in the US and work or come back to Canada. The reason I'm coming down to the US for pharm school is that the Canadian schools are simply too hard (only public schools, no private pharm schools... so very limited spots) for me to get into.. so instead of apply and re-apply again and again I just decided to spend (lots!!) more money but graduate earlier.

As far as the co-signing goes... I can't apply to any loans in the US since I don't have any relatives that are US citizens. Therefore, I am taking out a line of credit right here in Canada. Something other international students can consider too... taking out a loan in their home country!

Good luck everybody, it sure is a heck lot of work to be an international student (i never it was going to be this stressful...)... and hopefully it'll all pay off in the end.:)

ya I was born in Taiwan but lived in Canada for over 10 yrs.. so I have dual citizenship. Which makes everything easier US-wise since there are a lot more exceptions and shortcuts for Canadians.:)

I haven't quite figured out what's happening after grad yet, I can either stay in the US and work or come back to Canada. The reason I'm coming down to the US for pharm school is that the Canadian schools are simply too hard (only public schools, no private pharm schools... so very limited spots) for me to get into.. so instead of apply and re-apply again and again I just decided to spend (lots!!) more money but graduate earlier.

As far as the co-signing goes... I can't apply to any loans in the US since I don't have any relatives that are US citizens. Therefore, I am taking out a line of credit right here in Canada. Something other international students can consider too... taking out a loan in their home country!

Good luck everybody, it sure is a heck lot of work to be an international student (i never it was going to be this stressful...)... and hopefully it'll all pay off in the end.:)

So in short, you're too stupid to be a pharmacist in canada but still smart enough to be a pharmacist in US.

Me too.

Damn it's hard in canada.

I think I'm gonna get around 3.56-3.68 this year (full course, all science second year) with a 93% PCAT. Unfortunatley, I don't think I'm gonna get in since the average for getting in is 3.7. (the wide range is because english is worth 6 credits and I'm not sure whether I can get an A- over a B+)

I'm looking forward to doing the same thing as you and getting an education in US and just staying there. I missed the deadline for applying to pharmcas so I can't get in this year.

How did you fund your education through student loans in canada?
Which school are you going to?
I'm thinking of going to UB or other state run school simply because private schools are too expensive.

any advice/links/tips for canadian students thinking of going to the states?

Thanks.

At the University of Michigan, we probably have 4-5 students who are international out of our class of 79. They're awesome.

I am international pharmD student from India with 4.0 GPA in both bachelors and master's in pharmacy from India. I applied in 2009 to NOVA and Western international pharmd programs and didnot even received an interview. Later I took Master's in Audiolgy and am going to apply for 2012. My GPA is 3.68. My toefl is 96/120 and GRE scores 1140. What do you guys think my prospects for getting into NOVA this time? I am a permanent resident working towards citizenship. I have never worked as a pharmacy technician but have some volunteer work experience in pharmacy? What is the chance of getting in USN? Does the USN requires PCAT? Is GRE could be substituted? anything will help.