IS there any chance?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by amiso_md, Apr 28, 2001.

1. amiso_md

amiso_md Junior Member

hi every one, well I am junoir pre-med student at PA, with 3.5 GPA, I took the MCAT last week I think I did Okay, but my problem is that I had retake Organic I and I got B+, because of my language, I couldn't pass it from the first time, I hardly pass all my classes in my first semester, but after that I start geting A's in most of my clases.
    would you please tell me if they would take my failer to pass those courses in my freshmen year as failer student or they will ignored. Because it's realy hard if English your third lunguage!! and get A's on organic and micro, english of collge writing skills ..Don't ask me how they schudual me on my freshmen year all those upper courses..I think in someway I scraw up ? would please tell me how medical schools look at retake (F) to (A) and what is my chances to get in med school. I hope u guys get my point
    thanks

------------------
    amiso

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.No

Dr.No Member

I failed one class in my undergrauate career and that was Calculus. I took it again at a community college and got a C. I know it is possible to fail one class in college and still get accepted into med school. The most important thing is that you dont get discouraged by failing one class. From what I read you took Org Chem again and got a B, that's okay. You can always explain the circumstances later of one bad semester with a low gpa.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Amiso - I am rather confused...
    1) in 1 post you state you just took the MCAT
    2) in another you state you have a score of 33
    3) in still another you state you have a score of 30
    4) in the same post as above you ask whether you should go to a DO school over the Caribbean schools but haven't applied to DO schools because you've already gotten into Ross. Does Ross not require an MCAT score for admission? I thought they had changed that.
    5) in another post you ask a Ross student about the school because "you're going there" and have been accepted to Ross
    6) yet in another post you ask whether you should apply to Ross
    7)in this one you inquire as to your chances of getting into a US school because you have failed several courses

What's going on? I'd like to help in anyway I can but I expect a straight story because the evidence so far seems a bit misleading.

------------------
    PGY1
    Penn State University
    Department of Surgery

[This message has been edited by Kimberli Cox (edited April 28, 2001).]

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Kimberly,

If it's true that surgeons are the ones who notice every detail, are meticulous, etc. you should make a great one. Good detective work [​IMG] It is a pretty convoluted and contradictory story, though.

Jamie

6. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Meticulous and detail oriented sounds better than anal doesn't it? ;)

Funny thing was I didn't really have to do much detective work - I had just read most of his posts in pretty close order and simply remembered in one he stated what his MCAT score was and in another he stated he just took it. Got me curious and since I have time on my hands now, figured I'd do a little searching.

My tolerance for possible trolls has dwindled somewhat in the past few years...getting more a more like a surgeon everyday!

7. amiso_md

amiso_md Junior Member

okay detectives I didn't mean to confuse you guys, first I applyed to Ross 2000-2001 class and at that time they didn't ask for MCAT, most of proff advise me to done with my bacholer first and give a shot to medical school schools in US.. So I listen to them and took the MCAT last week :) all those grades 30 and 33 are just what I am expecting to get ( I feel i did good): :) anyway I am going to ROSS 2002 if I get reject from all MD schools I know that one DO schools will accept my MCAT and GPA , my concern should I apply TO DO schools or just go straight to Ross if I couldn't get in US MD schools to save money and Time .. that is all guys
    again sory for that confusion .. I am jsut too wary about where I should go in all of this diffrent medical schools

8. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Thank you for the clarification Amiso. I had suspected that either we had a troll or that your English language difficulties created a problem.

At any rate, until you know your ACTUAL score on the MCAT (believe me, it may be exceedingly different from what you expect. Many people are suprised.) there is no point in discussing whether or not you can or will get into a certain school (ie, your statement about "knowing" that at least 1 DO school will accept your MCAT and gpa; the process is much more complicated than that).

However, please do not shortchange yourself in an effort to save time and money. Going to the Caribbean will NOT save you any money over going to a US school given the cost of living and transportation factors. While I understand you may be anxious to start medical school, to go to Ross without attempting to get into a US school because of time or money issues, is foolhardy in my book. I am sure NONE of the students at Ross are there because it was their first choice - heck you state even Ross officials told you to try and get accepted to a US school before coming there.

My advice to you is to apply to BOTH US MD and DO schools at the same time - you needn't do one each year, and then and only then, if you cannot possibly improve your application any further (ie, if you don't get accepted to a US school), the consider reapplying to Ross.

Thank you again for clarifying things and best of luck to you.

9. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kimberli, I greatly enjoy reading your posts.Thanks for contributing - you have helped so many people :) You will make a great surgeon and physician. You seem like a great person.

10. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Awww....shucks. Thank you. I'm glad to hear that some might have been helped.

Just don't get used to it - after July 1, I expect my posting to dwindle significantly. :)

11. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Kimberli:

Does this mean that some of us can now catch up to your number of posts?

Seriously...try to stop by occasionally. I agree with the other guy...your posts have helped a great deal! :)

12. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    You'll at least have a fighting chance no doubt! :)

Thank you and I look forward to continuing my connection with SDN and hearing about your success this year and beyond.

Best of luck to you.