Is there any DO school that is pass fail or no mandatory attendance?

Camaxtli

Medical student
2+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
NYIT is pass fail I think. There might be honors though.

I don't think attendance for lecture is mandatory, but lab is.

navigator

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Tejas
Status
Medical Student
TCOM is pass/fail with "mandatory" homework-based learning sessions and recorded lectures.

SlugMD

7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Out of the schools I applied to here is what I have:

Mandatory: ACOM, BCOM, CUSOM, LECOM (most class time for LDP, following by PBL, then DSP), LECOM-B (just PBL)

Not Mandatory: KCOM, SOMA, DMU, NYIT, NSU, PNWU, PCOM, Rowan, UNE, WVSOM

Note: By not mandatory, the basic science lectures are not required, you obviously still have to go to the labs, OMM, Clinical Skills, and any other "doctoring" classes

Reactions: Nkinder and Goro

SlugMD

7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2011
Status
Medical Student
As far as I know all schools have required attendance in labs... especially OMM. BCOM does not have required attendance in basic sciences. ACOM has an 80% attendance requirement.

Edit: I would be hesitant to matriculate into a school with P/F due to the upcoming merger. You want to show that you are a top performer to get those increasingly competitive residency spots.
You are correct but see my disclaimer at the end of my post. By not mandatory I was simply referring to the basic science classes (i.e. physio, pharm, etc). Obviously the OMM, labs, and all other doctoring classes are required.

As for your hesitation of P/F, I think it is misplaced. P/F means less stress to learn specific minutae that may not be board relevant= more time to do USMLE/COMLEX qbanks. Scoring well on USMLE is the universal metric that programs judge applicants by. Scoring high, makes class rank much less important.

For exmaple, last year, a PCOM student matched into ACGME Opthalmology and he was ranked in the middle of his class. He had 240+ on Step 1 so he turned out just fine.

FutureD.O

OU-HCOM OMS-II
2+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Mine!

You still have to attend labs though. There isn't any escaping that anywhere (nor should there be).