Is there any electronic gadget for storing medical records?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EldwinEldwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, due to the difficulty in maintaining the bulky records of medical history I am looking out for any electronic gadget to manage the complete medical history of my father. I have gone through many of the services which give a wide range of electronics gadgets but couldn’t find any for maintaining the medical history electronically. If anyone from you knows any of such devices, then please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are some available, but most are expensive and use proprietary software. The easiest and most effective way is to 1. make a word document with sequential timeline of surgeries, medical conditions, and medications separately with the heading including the last time updated.
2. Scan in relevant documents into a pdf file....eg. MRI reports, EMGs, vascular studies, etc and label each pdf with the appropriate descriptor.
3. Dump these to a jump drive. With a 2 GB drive, you could hold most medical histories, scanned documents, and DICOM MRIs for a lifetime.
4. He takes the jumpdrive to his doc each visit (some are so small they fit on a keychain such as microCruzer; some are available as a bracelet)