Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is there any hope?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Challenge, Mar 15, 2000.

1. Challenge

Hi I am very worried about getting med school like all the pre-med students do feel the same. But I'm trying to relieve myself by searching for more and more hopes and chances to get into med school. Let me tell you about myself.

I,24, grew up in Korea almost all my life and came to the U.S. at the age of 18. When I was in Korea, I was a trouble girl and graduated at the bottom of our class. And I went to Community College(CC) in the U.S. took some courses with my few basic knowledge because of what I've been in H.S. But somehow after spending 2years in CC, I transfered to a nice University and got my BS in Health Science and Nutrition field. My grades at CC was 2.98GPA but 2.59 in University. I went to many parties and concentrated on beers in college despite I had to study two times harder than other native americans and even though I was in pre-physical therapy program

But anyhow, my overall GPA is overall 2.8. As soon as I graduated from college, I realized what I can do for my future, my career for my success. If I like partying because of loving people and caring people, why not do so by helping their physical and emotional health if I love medical stuff instead of buying them a beer and entertain them? I now stopped partying and I am retaking all the science classes in CC will going to take till the end of this year.

I have worked at physical therapy as an intern, volunteer and aide for 6mos. and have 4th degree master degree in Taekwondo and have taught students as a teaching assistant for 2yrs and as a master for 3mos.
    Also I have experience as a coordinator of an organization, little stupid popularity award in music. I'm planning to take MCAT this Aug. and trying to apply this fall as soon as possible whenever I get all the recommendations and other stuff. I'm also planning to do some volunteer at a hospital. The problem is MCAT. I know I can make my GPA raised overall at least 3.0 and science GPA at least 3.5 by the time the AA receives my transcripts. But my problem is I'm going to take 18 credits this Fall 00'. Do you think they can wait reviewing my overall final records until the all grades come out?
    Any suggestion on MCAT score for me to be really confident about getting into osteopathic school? Does my terrible grade in University gives disadvantage?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Challenge

Sorry, it's me again.. I guess I wrote too much but I would really appreciate your incite. Thank you

4. RollTide

RollTide Senior Member

A few suggestions:

1)Do not wait until fall to apply. Apply June 1st. It does not matter if you have not taken the MCAT yet. Apply early, you will have little chance of being accepted if you don't get everything in as early as possible. I took the Aug. MCAT and still had an acceptance before Christmas because I had everything else in EARLY.
    2)I would not take courses at a CC to improve my GPA. If you already have a degree this may look like you are doing this to boost a poor GPA. Take them at a University and study hard.
    3)If I were you, I would not apply this year. You have a little work to do before your application will be competitive enough to warrant spending thousands of dollars on applications and interviews. Spend this year improving your application and apply June 1st 2001.
    4)Sometimes finding a doctor who works in a smaller clinic to volunteer with is better than working in a hospital. This gives you the chance to really get to know the doctor well and you learn much more and get to participate in the care of patients.
    5) you need to kick [email protected]@ on the MCAT. TAKE PRACTICE TESTS. Start now, and take every practice test you can get your hands on.

hope this helps,

-Joshua

5. Challenge

Thanks for your suggestion. But I've seen some messages that retaking some courses or taking preques. is not a problem at all. According to the messages from the topic "Grades?" and also "Community college(please help)". What shall I do? Should I go to grad school ? Should I go to undergrad again as a part-time? It's much more expensive when I take classes at University. I think people who retake classes means they really want to get good grades and they are really dedicated to this medical field. It's not that you're wrong but I'm a little confused. And also I got email from one of osteopathic school admission center and it says that applying school around Oct. is good time frame. Is that true? Or did he/she lie in order to get some money from my admission fee?
    Please help!! Thank you ..

6. RollTide

RollTide Senior Member

Trust me, ask anyone on this board. Going back to a CC after attending a University does not make sense. You would be moving in reverse. There is nothing wrong with taking classes at CC, but going back to take classes a CC that you you have already taken at a University and done poorly in does not make sense. Applying in Oct. would be OK, but June 1st would be much better. I really think you should take the time out to improve your application before applying but if you have the money,go ahead. But make sure you spend the next year improving your application for next year. Just think about, the average GPA for most schools is around 3.4, you have under a 3.0 right? Your GPA needs to come up. Less than 2% of medical students get in with a GPA below 3.0. You also need a strong performance on the MCAT. But don't give up, just work harder.

[This message has been edited by RollTide (edited 03-16-2000).]

7. Challenge

Hmmm ok.. I appreciate your help. I should change my plan to retake classes at University or grad school. I would not even think of applying to med school with my GPA lower than 3.0. That's why I wanted to retake some classes.
    I was thinking to apply next year for the year 2002. I think it's better idea also.
    But what about all other people saying retaking courses at CC and boosting their GPA and still get accepted?? I really don't wanna go back to undergrad again. I think that's stupid. Grad school? maybe ...
    What if I went to grad school and I got acceptance from med school while I was attending grad school, let say during 1st year of the school??
    Can I drop out of grad school and go to med school? By the way I'm just wondering what year you are in med school now. Are you already a doctor? Just curious. thanks.

8. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

Many medical schools technically won't accept you if youhave not completed a program that you are already enrolled in. However, I know plenty of people who got in half-way through a graduate program. What does this mean? No idea, but I definitly think you will be doing more justice to yourself if you go to grad school, get a masters, and then apply to med school. Yeah, you'll have to wait awhile but if you do real well that will do a lot more for your application than retaking co urses at CC will. Many docs are going after a MPH or MBA these days. You may consider this as an option.