Is there any MD school that would take a 3.17 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megan801

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if its even worth trying to apply to any. I have a 3.54 cGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Just try to improve it by taking more science classes.

People can't really give you a useful answer without MCAT, ECs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you are black and you score a 27-29 on the MCAT, you have a 70% chance of getting in.

@Megan801 Try posting in the What Are My Chances forum. You will need to provide more information, but a 3.17 is fairly low for MD. Depending on your other stats, DO may not be a problem.

Probably not. As for the Black numbers 33% of Blacks go to HBCU's which accept a greater range of scores. Regardless URM/disadvantaged status unless you're going to Puerto Rico or a HBCU you're not getting in MD.

Is there any MD school that would take a 3.17 sGPA?
I am just wondering if its even worth trying to apply to any. I have a 3.54 cGPA.
It's not impossible, but context is important to answering the question as pertains to you. It would depend on the reason why your sGPA is low, your MCAT score, and what else you have to bring to the table.

I've seen it happen. Low success rate though.

Probably not. As for the Black numbers 33% of Blacks go to HBCU's which accept a greater range of scores. Regardless URM/disadvantaged status unless you're going to Puerto Rico or a HBCU you're not getting in MD.

OP's GPA is obviously less than ideal for applying to med school, but you are making a gross overstatement that you can't make without other information.
With that cGPA, by the MCAT/GPA grid, if OP breaks 30 on the MCAT his/her chances are about 50/50, and obviously increase if he/she can do even better than that on the MCAT.
cGPA is well within 1 standard deviation of the mean for matriculants. sGPA is within 1.5 standard deviations.

None of that translates to "you're not getting into MD".
I'm Caucasian and graduating from a good medical school with similar GPA to the OP after applying with an MCAT of 34. I had multiple other MD offers of admission. LOR, PS, ECs, major/school, and life story contribute to an application, and without those, your statement is unfounded. Is the OP in as good a position has he/she would be with higher grades? No. But he/she is far from being out of the game.

OP, you need your MCAT to figure out if you're competitive MD, DO, or both.
What is pulling down your GPA (i.e. a few C's and D's versus a lot of B's, and in what classes)? What kind of college are you at? ECs, LORs, research, anything particularly unique about you?
What state would you be a resident of at time of application?

Reactions: 1 user
Median GPA for allo schools according to recent MSAR is 3.7. Yours is way below that, not sure if you would have shot at DO or MD. Maybe if you can get 35+ MCAT, happen to be URM you have a strong shot. But everything is all relative.

I do not know my MCAT score yet but I have a broad spectrum of grades. 3 2.5's, 2 3.0's, the rest above. My family and I run a charity that works in hospitals in memory of my sister who died of cancer so I am writing about that in my personal statement. I have a lot of volunteer work and shadowing. I have an apprenticeship in a radiology department that I was accepted to for this summer. I am a Michigan resident looking at both MD and DO (probably more DO now that my GPA is low). I am also currently a research assistant at MSU.

Yup, it is possible. Although you need some post-bacc work and/or a special master's program, with a 30+ MCAT.

I have a 3.0 sGPA and cGPA with 31 MCAT and was accepted into MD and DO. However, I did both post-bacc science courses and a SMP.

It is going to require time and effort on your part, but definitely achievable. Good luck!

OP's GPA is obviously less than ideal for applying to med school, but you are making a gross overstatement that you can't make without other information.
With that cGPA, by the MCAT/GPA grid, if OP breaks 30 on the MCAT his/her chances are about 50/50, and obviously increase if he/she can do even better than that on the MCAT.
cGPA is well within 1 standard deviation of the mean for matriculants. sGPA is within 1.5 standard deviations.

None of that translates to "you're not getting into MD".
I'm Caucasian and graduating from a good medical school with similar GPA to the OP after applying with an MCAT of 34. I had multiple other MD offers of admission. LOR, PS, ECs, major/school, and life story contribute to an application, and without those, your statement is unfounded. Is the OP in as good a position has he/she would be with higher grades? No. But he/she is far from being out of the game.

OP, you need your MCAT to figure out if you're competitive MD, DO, or both.
What is pulling down your GPA (i.e. a few C's and D's versus a lot of B's, and in what classes)? What kind of college are you at? ECs, LORs, research, anything particularly unique about you?
What state would you be a resident of at time of application?

I stand by my analysis. I don't think the OP would get into MD as is. Period. If the OP does another year of classes and retake the MCAT and can get a 30+ and 3.3+ OP will most likely make MD.

It is really hard to tell without knowing your GPA trend, MCAT score, and EC's. Your gpa is obviously low, but if you excel at the other parts of your application, it is entirely possible for you to be accepted into DO or some MD programs, but it's impossible to know without info, and of course won't be easy to do.

I stand by my analysis. I don't think the OP would get into MD as is. Period. If the OP does another year of classes and retake the MCAT and can get a 30+ and 3.3+ OP will most likely make MD.

The OP has a 3.54

As is? You mean without taking them MCAT? Well, obviously. But you told the OP s/he couldn't go MD (unless Puerto Rico or HBCU) without any caveat about MCAT.
The data is available, so your "analysis" simply doesn't hold water if you're telling someone he's "not getting into MD".
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/2013factstable17.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/2013factstable24.pdf
If OP breaks a 30 on the MCAT, chances are (however slightly) greater that he'll get in than that he won't. So you're standing by faulty analysis? How do you call a 50.4% acceptance rate (which he'd have with a 30MCAT) a secure piece of evidence to tell someone he can't get into MD. Strangely, I'd say that's "50/50" rather than "no chance", and that's a big difference.

The OP has a 3.54

As is? You mean without taking them MCAT? Well, obviously. But you told the OP s/he couldn't go MD (unless Puerto Rico or HBCU) without any caveat about MCAT.
The data is available, so your "analysis" simply doesn't hold water if you're telling someone he's "not getting into MD".
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/2013factstable17.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/2013factstable24.pdf
If OP breaks a 30 on the MCAT, chances are (however slightly) greater that he'll get in than that he won't. So you're standing by faulty analysis? How do you call a 50.4% acceptance rate (which he'd have with a 30MCAT) a secure piece of evidence to tell someone he can't get into MD. Strangely, I'd say that's "50/50" rather than "no chance", and that's a big difference.

Applying to medical school is way too expensive for a 50/50 shot. That's why I said "no chance" just reapply. Listen, I know people ORM and URM that got into MD schools with a similar stats. Its possible. Anythings possible though. I could tell the OP "Oh, go ahead and apply. You have a 50/50 shot". I think that's wrong though. Especially when the OP can take a year of courses have a 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 30+ MCAT or equivalent MCAT2015 score and have a much greater chance of getting in.

Applying to medical school is way too expensive for a 50/50 shot. That's why I said "no chance" just reapply. Listen, I know people ORM and URM that got into MD schools with a similar stats. Its possible. Anythings possible though. I could tell the OP "Oh, go ahead and apply. You have a 50/50 shot". I think that's wrong though. Especially when the OP can take a year of courses have a 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 30+ MCAT or equivalent MCAT2015 score and have a much greater chance of getting in.

so next time you're giving advice, say what you mean. I don't disagree with any of that, but it's distinctly different from what you said.

Reactions: 1 user