Is there any point to applying? Am I making the right decisions for gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornconfused

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I would really love any feedback or advice any of you could give me :)

I graduated the University of Michigan this past year with my B.S. in CMB.

GPA: 3.2 (3.1 science)
MCAT: 30R

Obviously, this is too low for medical school. I have good extracurrics, clinical, volunteering, research, and good LORs. I assume that I should spend my gap year raising my GPA. I have a few different options.

1) Master of Public Health at Dartmouth or UMichigan. I am actually really interested in the MPH curriculum and feel it would help with medicine. But if I did well GPA wise there, would that help my apps? Dartmouth has a pass/fail system

2) Master of Science at Loyola or UToledo. I am a little unsure because if I do not get into med school, i feel it might be difficult to get a good non research job.

3) Apply to D.O. school - Maybe M.D. is just not an option anymore for me?

4) Caribbean - If people feel that the MPH or MS wouldn't get me to med school, then maybe I should just go to the Caribbean - At least I would be able to finish med school in a timely manner...

5) something else...

Please help...I'm getting ulcers from all the tension and indecision :)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh! And do I apply this year or the year after??

My initial impression is that you should still try to apply this year as long as you are willing to be open in where you may go to med school. If you're considering DO and Caribbean schools, then I'm sure you would be fine going anywhere in the U.S. for allopathic med school. It generally won't hurt you if you don't get in and have to reapply. There are plenty of people who get in with a 3.2 GPA and 30 MCAT, especially from good schools like Michigan. Work hard on making a good application, and you will stand a fair chance. Good luck!