is there any reason for wanting to do denistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
not that i want to go to a dental school, but ive always wondered how can ppl explain their dreams
like i really dont see the need for dentists except for comestic reason
and i dont really see why would anyone wanna work on dirty teeth except for monetary reason.....

Members don't see this ad.

coralfangs said:
not that i want to go to a dental school, but ive always wondered how can ppl explain their dreams
and i dont really see why would anyone wanna work on dirty teeth except for monetary reason.....

thats a little shortsited :)

coralfangs said:

Yeah, except for whitening teeth, filling cavities, promoting oral hygene, performing root canals, etc, they really dont do anything :laugh: </sarcasm>

Seriously though, you might shadow a dentist. Im going to try it out this summer even though I'm pretty sure med school is it. You never know :) .

Members don't see this ad :)
coralfangs said:

havent you ever met a girl with one of those smiles that you cant not stare at? dentists do a pretty good job of making that happen. as a doctor you are going to do some pretty nasty stuff too (like code browns :smuggrin: ), doesnt mean you should shy away from it

pnasty said:
havent you ever met a girl with one of those smiles that you cant not stare at? dentists do a pretty good job of making that happen. as a doctor you are going to do some pretty nasty stuff too (like code browns :smuggrin: ), doesnt mean you should shy away from it
plastic surgery can do much MUUUCH more for that girl

coralfangs said:
plastic surgery can do much MUUUCH more for that girl

My dad is a dentist, and I have seen how much he loves it and believe it or not, it can be rewarding (not to speak of the nice hours). He does maxifacial surgery, so a lot of people with defects can have a better appearance and just feel better about themselves.
I've always considered dentistry another side of medicine. :love:

coralfangs said:

they just like teeth, I guess.

when they get up in the morning they can't wait to get into the office and have a looksee at some molars.

Dentistry is such a neat profession. It's technically another realm of medicine, but it very much mimics what an MD or DO does daily--see patients and perform procedures on them. Many people complain that their job is monotonous--maybe there's some truth in that, but almost every career has its drawbacks. Someone who has good hands and artistic talent would make a GREAT dentist...it's a very prestigious and rewarding profession! it's just as hard as medical school without the residencies (although in dentistry they are optional...).

The OP should really decide what they find as an advantage a dentist possesses over any other career. I really can't say much about choosing dentistry other than I like working with my hands! And if you plan on interviewing for dentistry school, you can state the same things you would say in a medical school interview...they dont really differ in patient care (other than a dentist just performs procedures and lets you go...)

In fact, dentistry is in my backup things to do!

My girlfriend is going to dental school...she wants to do orthodontics which can rock out the pay, has good hours, and she likes it a lot..traditional medicine just doesn't interest her..she shudders at the thought of blood even. I am considering it as a backup to MD or an alternative as well. OMFS stuff is really cool...and you can do the 6 year program and have your md as well although the extra letters are really the only reason to do the 6 year over 4 year. Every profession seems easy from the outside..it is when you get into the details that it becomes a bit tougher. I mean crap....people think radiologist are just fancy xray techs sometimes, and that FP's pretty much listen to your heart, hit your knee, grab your balls and send you on the way out....

I honestly don't see the attraction, but I am grateful that some people do. Then again, I'm sure there are those who would say that about medicine.

Perhaps you are asking this question in the wrong forum, there is a dental forum on SDN.

i would take blood over saliva any time of the day

i'm apply to med schools, but i heard from a friend who's going into dental school.. something about the low cost in insurance and ease in setting up own clinic or something.. that they make a lot more money than a surgeon when the high insurance rate is taken into consideration

my dad's a dentist, and i can tell you that it's not easy to setting up a clinic on your own straight out of dental school. You need capital, and especially when you have academic loans on top of the loans you're gonna have to take for dental school, along with the pressures of hoping to do well in your practice, it's not that easy.

The best thing to do is to work for the state or a hospital for 4-5 years as a part-time and have a part-time practice. Furthermore, if you continue to stay with the state for 25 years (in NY at least), i know that you get a pension which is 50 percent of your max. income (you need 25 years to retire, and if you're making 115k for example, and you're 55 when you retire from the state job, you're netting in 57,500k a year for the rest of your life!