Is there anyone out there besides me that is losing sleep over malpractice ins costs?

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The figures and horror stories I see online are well....horrifying.

Doctors writting text books, forced to abandon their practices and work a hospital (my own GP had to do this).

Is the average cost of malpractice insurance really somwhere around $25,000 a year?

If you work in a hospital do they provide you with coverage or does it come out of your salary?

Im not becoming a physician for the money...I'm just worried about my loans and my family. I'm sure theirs someone out there that is as shooken up as I am...right???...right???!! :scared:

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
25k per year.......out of 125,000 still puts you over the top buddy.

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
AStudent said:
25k per year.......out of 125,000 still puts you over the top buddy.
Malpractice comes out of physicians revenue. I think the average private family practice doc brings in like.. 400-450k.. and surgeons around 800k. 25 or 75 grand isnt going to matter much here. Yeah malprac costs are high, but its not killing physicians incomes.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
yeah avg doc salary runs close to 150k/year....minus your figure of malpractice (not sure of the avg for that)...still puts you way above the avg joe's salary

dont lose sleep over it now, lose sleep over it when you're going thru it! :D

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
That average salary you quoted is generally expressed as $ after net expenses. Most salaries you see posted out there are figured after malpractice has already been taken out

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
i am sleeping fine at night. thanks for asking. :)

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Sweeet! :thumbup: That's cool, didnt know that...yeah so 150k after malpractice, even better than the avg joe's salary

OP
carn311

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ross434 said:
That average salary you quoted is generally expressed as $ after net expenses. Most salaries you see posted out there are figured after malpractice has already been taken out
Your kidding...

Man is my prehealth advisor missinformed. Thanks a lot!

I look pretty greedy now heh? :)

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
carn311 said:
Your kidding...

Man is my prehealth advisor missinformed. Thanks a lot!

I look pretty greedy now heh? :)
Np. It seems to be a hot button issue. A lot of people are concerned. However, I think its only drastically affecting a select few individual practices or small group practices in certain states. If you are an employee, your malpractice is almost always covered by your employer.

pratik7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
carn311 said:
Doctors writting text books, forced to abandon their practices and work a hospital (my own GP had to do this)

I dont think that most doctors have to quit there practice bc of insurance cost. Doctors in private practice usually make more than those employed by the hospital. However, they also work longer hours and being self employed is more stressful. As a result, GP docs are quitting there practice and are seeking employment at a hospital because the large margin that existed between private and employed practice is decreasing. I just isnt worth the time and effort to some docs to be in private practice for an extra 20,000 bucks a year

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
pratik7 said:
I dont think that most doctors have to quit there practice bc of insurance cost. Doctors in private practice usually make more than those employed by the hospital. However, they also work longer hours and being self employed is more stressful. As a result, GP docs are quitting there practice and are seeking employment at a hospital because the large margin that existed between private and employed practice is decreasing. I just isnt worth the time and effort to some docs to be in private practice for an extra 20,000 bucks a year
Im aware of a pretty large margin between private practice and hospital.. For example. they only pay ortho surgeons here in employed HMO practices about 250k... whereas 400 is more the norm in private groups.