Is there anything as a Bad Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

American Princess

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently attended a Prepharmacy Seminar and the speaker stated that there was no such thing as a bad pharmacy School. I was wondering is this really true?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume this can always apply to any school. If they don't prepare their students well enough (with the standards pharmacy schools are required to meet, this should be a rare problem)

Still the schools all teach differently so on a personal level one program may not be a "Good" school for you based on learning style, personal goals etc.

I recently attended a Prepharmacy Seminar and the speaker stated that there was no such thing as a bad pharmacy School. I was wondering is this really true?

The University of Hawaii Pharmacy school was shut down because of the administration didn't fufill its promise of getting accredited. As a result, their applicants were left out in the cold. I say that's an example of a bad pharmacy school.:)

As for bona fide accredited pharmacy schools, I suppose a bad pharmacy school is one that you dread in terms of environment and quality of facilities, faculty, student body, board passage rates, rotation sites, curriculum, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Hawaii Pharmacy school was shut down because of the administration didn't fufill its promise of getting accredited. As a result, their applicants were left out in the cold. I say that's an example of a bad pharmacy school.:)

As for bona fide accredited pharmacy schools, I suppose a bad pharmacy school is one that you dread in terms of environment and quality of facilities, faculty, student body, board passage rates, rotation sites, curriculum, etc.

it could be very bad if the school is called Sally Struthers school of pharmacy.

I hope there are some people on here old enough to remember those commercials.

it could be very bad if the school is called Sally Struthers school of pharmacy.

I remember the name, but I don't remember the commercials. Care to refresh my memory?:)

I remember the name, but I don't remember the commercials. Care to refresh my memory?:)

LOL--- she basically hawked a "Draw Blinky" sort of school, where you could get all kinds of 'education' in all kinds of areas, from truck driving to drafting to medical assisting t child care.

"Sally Struthers School of Pharmacy"....... LOL

Her school was basically like an adult night class tech school. She'd stand there listing off all of the "degrees" you could get. I was rather young so don't remember the total details yet it was still silly enough to stick.

It is like that one episode of king of the hill where Peggy Hill gets a "PhD" from a self taught home course. That would be a bad school.

Be careful what you're posting. The school that was shut down was named Hawaii College of Pharmacy in Kapolei, and was a private school.

The University of Hawaii Hilo College of Pharmacy is a state funded public institution which just started accepting applications this past November.

Reactions: 1 users
On a side note, and sorry for jacking the thread here for a moment, but the question I have is: Is there anything NOT on youtube? lol

Not a lot it seems. My question is though who spent the time to put up stuff like the sally struthers commercial.

Not a lot it seems. My question is though who spent the time to put up stuff like the sally struthers commercial.

:laugh: I have no idea.. I actually just searched for it because I had no idea what people were talking about and I had a hunch it would be on youtube.. and sure nuff..

:laugh: I have no idea.. I actually just searched for it because I had no idea what people were talking about and I had a hunch it would be on youtube.. and sure nuff..

I assume if you can find videos of people trying to launch bottle rockets from certain areas to not be mentioned on here, then you can find anything.

Haha, I remember the commercials. Dressed up as her for halloween once. Good ol Jr. High Days. :cool:

I would classify as a bad school: Most of the newly opened schools, and most schools that have just opened a 2nd campus or increased their class sizes. They're focused more on money, on harvesting tuition from you, rather than purely on the science and profession of pharmacy. Look for a school with a good graduate school and pharmacy research department, or a hospital directly attached to it.

Reactions: 1 user

bad how ??

I would classify as a bad school: Most of the newly opened schools, and most schools that have just opened a 2nd campus or increased their class sizes. They're focused more on money, on harvesting tuition from you, rather than purely on the science and profession of pharmacy. Look for a school with a good graduate school and pharmacy research department, or a hospital directly attached to it.

I agree with the bold part.

regarding bad schools being schools that have expanded with new campuses, there are many good old established schools (state and private) that fall under this definition. One of such examples are U of Florida (but recently they've just announced the closing of their Tampa campus).

Last edited: