SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is there anything as a Bad Pharmacy School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by American Princess, Mar 26, 2007.

1. American Princess

American Princess prepharmacy uh 10+ Year Member

Sep 3, 2006
    I recently attended a Prepharmacy Seminar and the speaker stated that there was no such thing as a bad pharmacy School. I was wondering is this really true?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I assume this can always apply to any school. If they don't prepare their students well enough (with the standards pharmacy schools are required to meet, this should be a rare problem)

Still the schools all teach differently so on a personal level one program may not be a "Good" school for you based on learning style, personal goals etc.

4. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

The University of Hawaii Pharmacy school was shut down because of the administration didn't fufill its promise of getting accredited. As a result, their applicants were left out in the cold. I say that's an example of a bad pharmacy school.:)

As for bona fide accredited pharmacy schools, I suppose a bad pharmacy school is one that you dread in terms of environment and quality of facilities, faculty, student body, board passage rates, rotation sites, curriculum, etc.

5. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA

it could be very bad if the school is called Sally Struthers school of pharmacy.

I hope there are some people on here old enough to remember those commercials.

6. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I remember the name, but I don't remember the commercials. Care to refresh my memory?:)

7. eelo

eelo 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007
    LOL--- she basically hawked a "Draw Blinky" sort of school, where you could get all kinds of 'education' in all kinds of areas, from truck driving to drafting to medical assisting t child care.

"Sally Struthers School of Pharmacy"....... LOL

8. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Her school was basically like an adult night class tech school. She'd stand there listing off all of the "degrees" you could get. I was rather young so don't remember the total details yet it was still silly enough to stick.

It is like that one episode of king of the hill where Peggy Hill gets a "PhD" from a self taught home course. That would be a bad school.

9. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2006
  10. PossiblyCrazy

PossiblyCrazy 2+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2007
    On a side note, and sorry for jacking the thread here for a moment, but the question I have is: Is there anything NOT on youtube? lol

11. jc430

jc430 2+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Be careful what you're posting. The school that was shut down was named Hawaii College of Pharmacy in Kapolei, and was a private school.

The University of Hawaii Hilo College of Pharmacy is a state funded public institution which just started accepting applications this past November.

happyBuddha8 and oldstock like this.
  12. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA

Not a lot it seems. My question is though who spent the time to put up stuff like the sally struthers commercial.

13. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2006
    :laugh: I have no idea.. I actually just searched for it because I had no idea what people were talking about and I had a hunch it would be on youtube.. and sure nuff..

14. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA

I assume if you can find videos of people trying to launch bottle rockets from certain areas to not be mentioned on here, then you can find anything.

15. Ashphrodite

Ashphrodite 2+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Tennessee
    Haha, I remember the commercials. Dressed up as her for halloween once. Good ol Jr. High Days. :cool:

16. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Southern US
  17. ghent96

ghent96 PharmD 7+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2007
    midwest
    I would classify as a bad school: Most of the newly opened schools, and most schools that have just opened a 2nd campus or increased their class sizes. They're focused more on money, on harvesting tuition from you, rather than purely on the science and profession of pharmacy. Look for a school with a good graduate school and pharmacy research department, or a hospital directly attached to it.

happyBuddha8 likes this.
  18. sanovin

sanovin 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2014
    LECOM

Jibby321 and NejixRockS like this.
  19. oldstock

oldstock Banned Banned

Mar 12, 2014
    bad how ??

I agree with the bold part.

regarding bad schools being schools that have expanded with new campuses, there are many good old established schools (state and private) that fall under this definition. One of such examples are U of Florida (but recently they've just announced the closing of their Tampa campus).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014