Is there anyway to time the SMP right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomedthenback

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a very poor undergrad record, with a 2.89 GPA, and several F's, D's and W's on my science record. I graduated in May 2014. Its been exactly one year since I graduated.

In the time since I've done the following:
Fall 2014: retook Organic for an A, retook Physics 1 for an A (both at 4-year college)
Spring 2015: retook Organic 2 for an A- (4-year college), retook Bio 1 + 2 for A's (at CC)

I am 22 going on 23 now, and am planning my next year.

My original plan was:
Summer 2015: take Genetics (at 4-yr college), study for MCAT
Fall 2015: take Biochem and Physiology (both at 4-year college), continue studying for MCAT
Spring 2016: take MCAT, along with 12-15 credits of sciences (again, at 4-year college)

June 2016: Apply to combination of MD and DO schools.

August 2017 (a full year later!): Matriculate into Medical school

Here is where the title of the post comes into play. I've heard several people suggest that I do a post-bac or SMP program if I want to get into any MD school.

If so, I don't know exactly when I should be applying. If I do an SMP during my 'glide year', won't it be pretty much useless except for the potential of linkage? I will have already applied to medical schools by this point, and they won't see any of my SMP classes, no matter how well I do.

The only potential benefit I am sensing from an SMP is in a case like Georgetown SMP, where if you finish in the top 10-15% after first semester, you might get accepted.

Should I bother with an SMP? If not, what can I do to get into an MD?

Members don't see this ad.