Is there grade inflation at your school ? There is at Harvard and Princenton, et al.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my public school 12-20% of the students get As in the science classes and that includes HALF A- grades. So in a 200 student O-Chem class there are somewhere around 15 straight As given out. The genetics prof gave out THREE As this semester in a class of 60 students. The Analytical prof gives maybe 3-4 As for each class of about 50 people. My school is harder than HARVARD. Actually, I have long believed that public schools like UW-Madison, U-Michigan and Berkley are far better schools than the Ivy League. I go to UW-Milwaukee and our MCAT scores are exactly the same as Madison, one of the best science schools in the nation.

With that I am going to leave this article for you to read. I hope it makes you as mad as it made me.

A's for Everyone!
In an era of rampant grade inflation, some college students find it shocking to discover there are 26 letters in the alphabet

By Alicia C. Shepard
Washington Post
Sunday, June 5, 2005; W19

It was the end of my first semester teaching journalism at American University. The students had left for winter break. As a rookie professor, I sat with trepidation in my office on a December day to electronically post my final grades.

My concern was more about completing the process correctly than anything else. It took an hour to compute and type in the grades for three classes, and then I hit "enter." That's when the trouble started.

In less than an hour, two students challenged me. Mind you, there had been no preset posting time. They had just been religiously checking the electronic bulletin board that many colleges now use.

"Why was I given a B as my final grade?" demanded a reporting student via e-mail. "Please respond ASAP, as I have never received a B during my career here at AU and it will surely lower my GPA."

I must say I was floored. Where did this kid get the audacity to so boldly challenge a professor? And why did he care so much? Did he really think a prospective employer was going to ask for his GPA?

I checked the grades I'd meticulously kept on the electronic blackboard. He'd missed three quizzes and gotten an 85 on two of the three main writing assignments. There was no way he was A material. I let the grade mar his GPA because he hadn't done the required work.

I wasn't so firm with my other challenger. She tracked me down by phone while I was still in my office. She wanted to know why she'd received a B-plus. Basically, it was because she'd barely said a word in class, so the B-plus was subjective. She harangued me until, I'm ashamed to admit, I agreed to change her grade to an A-minus. At the time, I thought, "Geez, if it means that much to you, I'll change it." She thanked me profusely, encouraging me to have a happy holiday.

Little did I know the pressure was just beginning.

The students were relentless. During the spring semester, they showed up at my office to insist I reread their papers and boost their grades. They asked to retake tests they hadn't done well on. They bombarded me with e-mails questioning grades. More harassed me to change their final grade. I began to wonder if I was doing something wrong, sending out some sort of newbie signal that I could be pushed around. Then I talked to other professors in the School of Communication. They all had stories.

My colleague Wendy Swallow told me about one student who had managed to sour her Christmas break one year. Despite gaining entry into AU's honors program, the student missed assignments in Swallow's newswriting class and slept through her midterm. Slept through her midterm! Then she begged for lenience.

"I let her take it again for a reduced grade," Swallow says, "but with the warning that if she skipped more classes or missed more deadlines, the midterm grade would revert to the F she earned by missing it. She then skipped the last three classes of the semester and turned in all her remaining assignments late. She even showed up late for her final."

Swallow gave the student a C-minus, which meant she was booted out of the honors program. The student was shocked. She called Swallow at home hysterical about being dropped from the program. To Swallow, the C-minus was a gift. To the student, an undeserved lump of Christmas coal.

"She pestered me for several days by phone," says Swallow, who did not relent and suggested the student file a formal grievance. She didn't. "The whole exchange, though, made for a very unpleasant break. Now I wait to post my grades until the last minute before leaving for the semester, as by then most of the students are gone, and I'm less likely to get those instantaneous complaints."

Another colleague told me about a student she had failed. "He came back after the summer trying to convince me to pass him because other professors just gave him a C," says Leena Jayaswal, who teaches photography. Never mind that he didn't do her required work.

John Watson, who teaches journalism ethics and communications law at American, has noticed another phenomenon: Many students, he says, believe that simply working hard -- though not necessarily doing excellent work -- entitles them to an A. "I can't tell you how many times I've heard a student dispute a grade, not on the basis of in-class performance," says Watson, "but on the basis of how hard they tried. I appreciate the effort, and it always produces positive results, but not always the exact results the student wants. We all have different levels of talent."

It's a concept that many students (and their parents) have a hard time grasping. Working hard, especially the night before a test or a paper due date, does not necessarily produce good grades.

"At the age of 50, if I work extremely hard, I can run a mile in eight minutes," says Watson. "I have students who can jog through a mile in seven minutes and barely sweat. They will always finish before me and that's not fair. Or is it?"

Last September, AU's Center for Teaching Excellence hosted a lunchtime forum to provide faculty members tips on how to reduce stressful grade confrontations. I eagerly attended.

The advice we were given was solid: Be clear upfront about how you grade and what is expected, and, when possible, use a numerical grading system rather than letter grades. If the grade is an 89, write that on the paper rather than a B-plus.

"The key," said AU academic counselor Jack Ramsay, "is to have a system of grading that is as transparent as possible."

Yet even the most transparent grading system won't eliminate our students' desperate pursuit of A's. Of the 20 teachers who came to the session, most could offer some tale of grade harassment.

"Most of the complaints that colleagues tell me about come from B students," said James Mooney, special assistant to the dean for academic affairs in the College of Arts and Sciences. "They all want to know why they didn't get an A. Is there something wrong with a B?"

Apparently there is. "Certainly there are students who are victims of grade inflation in secondary school," said Mooney. "They come to college, and the grading system is much more rigorous. That's one of the most difficult things to convey to the students. If you're getting a B, you're doing well in a course."

But his interpretation is rarely accepted by students or their parents. And the pressure on professors to keep the A's coming isn't unique to AU. It's endemic to college life, according to Stuart Rojstaczer, a Duke University professor who runs a Web site called Gradeinflation.com. At Duke and many other colleges, A's outnumber B's, and C's have all but disappeared from student transcripts, his research shows.

Last spring, professors at Princeton University declared war on grade inflation, voting to slash the number of A's they award to 25 percent of all grades. At Harvard, where half of the grades awarded are A's, the university announced that it would cut the number of seniors graduating with honors from 91 percent to about 50 percent.

Despite those moves, Rojstaczer doesn't think it will be easy to reverse the rising tide of A's. He points out that in 1969, a quarter of the grades handed out at Duke were C's. By 2002, the number of C's had dropped to less than 10 percent.

Rojstaczer, who teaches environmental science, acknowledged in an op-ed piece he wrote for The Post two years ago that he rarely hands out C's, "and neither do most of my colleagues. And I can easily imagine a time when I'll say the same thing about B's."

Arthur Levine, president of Columbia University Teacher's College and an authority on grading, traces what's going on to the Vietnam War. "Men who got low grades could be drafted," Levine says. "The next piece was the spread of graduate schools where only A's and B's were passing grades. That soon got passed on to undergraduates and set the standard."

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/02/AR2005060201593_pf.html[/url]

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever...just quit posting it all over, is the four or fifth time you've posted the same thing in different threads?

it sounds like your bitter.

Members don't see this ad :)
its not that what you are saying dosen't have merit but i don't see how posting this will get you anything but maybe flame wars and people saying a whole lot of crap about you. i mean if you wrote this to relieve some anger i don't think it will ultimately have that effect. that anger would be better vented with premed friends at your school. plus when it comes to GPA, there really is no way to standarize the playing field given the diversity of colleges and grading standards out there. just kick ass on the MCAT and med schools will know what you're about.

one thread was enough kiddo. seriously stop complaining, suck it up and do what it takes or else transfer and repair the gpa

Life isn't fair. You need to learn to deal with it.

#41 said:
At my public school 12-20% of the students get As in the science classes and that includes HALF A- grades. So in a 200 student O-Chem class there are somewhere around 15 straight As given out. The genetics prof gave out THREE As this semester in a class of 60 students. The Analytical prof gives maybe 3-4 As for each class of about 50 people. My school is harder than HARVARD. Actually, I have long believed that public schools like UW-Madison, U-Michigan and Berkley are far better schools than the Ivy League. I go to UW-Milwaukee and our MCAT scores are exactly the same as Madison, one of the best science schools in the nation.

With that I am going to leave this article for you to read. I hope it makes you as mad as it made me.

A's for Everyone!
In an era of rampant grade inflation, some college students find it shocking to discover there are 26 letters in the alphabet

By Alicia C. Shepard
Washington Post

It was the end of my first semester teaching journalism at American University. The students had left for winter break. As a rookie professor, I sat with trepidation in my office on a December day to electronically post my final grades.

My concern was more about completing the process correctly than anything else. It took an hour to compute and type in the grades for three classes, and then I hit "enter." That's when the trouble started.

In less than an hour, two students challenged me. Mind you, there had been no preset posting time. They had just been religiously checking the electronic bulletin board that many colleges now use.

"Why was I given a B as my final grade?" demanded a reporting student via e-mail. "Please respond ASAP, as I have never received a B during my career here at AU and it will surely lower my GPA."

I must say I was floored. Where did this kid get the audacity to so boldly challenge a professor? And why did he care so much? Did he really think a prospective employer was going to ask for his GPA?

I checked the grades I'd meticulously kept on the electronic blackboard. He'd missed three quizzes and gotten an 85 on two of the three main writing assignments. There was no way he was A material. I let the grade mar his GPA because he hadn't done the required work.

I wasn't so firm with my other challenger. She tracked me down by phone while I was still in my office. She wanted to know why she'd received a B-plus. Basically, it was because she'd barely said a word in class, so the B-plus was subjective. She harangued me until, I'm ashamed to admit, I agreed to change her grade to an A-minus. At the time, I thought, "Geez, if it means that much to you, I'll change it." She thanked me profusely, encouraging me to have a happy holiday.

The students were relentless. During the spring semester, they showed up at my office to insist I reread their papers and boost their grades. They asked to retake tests they hadn't done well on. They bombarded me with e-mails questioning grades. More harassed me to change their final grade. I began to wonder if I was doing something wrong, sending out some sort of newbie signal that I could be pushed around. Then I talked to other professors in the School of Communication. They all had stories.

My colleague Wendy Swallow told me about one student who had managed to sour her Christmas break one year. Despite gaining entry into AU's honors program, the student missed assignments in Swallow's newswriting class and slept through her midterm. Slept through her midterm! Then she begged for lenience.

"I let her take it again for a reduced grade," Swallow says, "but with the warning that if she skipped more classes or missed more deadlines, the midterm grade would revert to the F she earned by missing it. She then skipped the last three classes of the semester and turned in all her remaining assignments late. She even showed up late for her final."

Swallow gave the student a C-minus, which meant she was booted out of the honors program. The student was shocked. She called Swallow at home hysterical about being dropped from the program. To Swallow, the C-minus was a gift. To the student, an undeserved lump of Christmas coal.

"She pestered me for several days by phone," says Swallow, who did not relent and suggested the student file a formal grievance. She didn't. "The whole exchange, though, made for a very unpleasant break. Now I wait to post my grades until the last minute before leaving for the semester, as by then most of the students are gone, and I'm less likely to get those instantaneous complaints."

Another colleague told me about a student she had failed. "He came back after the summer trying to convince me to pass him because other professors just gave him a C," says Leena Jayaswal, who teaches photography. Never mind that he didn't do her required work.

John Watson, who teaches journalism ethics and communications law at American, has noticed another phenomenon: Many students, he says, believe that simply working hard -- though not necessarily doing excellent work -- entitles them to an A. "I can't tell you how many times I've heard a student dispute a grade, not on the basis of in-class performance," says Watson, "but on the basis of how hard they tried. I appreciate the effort, and it always produces positive results, but not always the exact results the student wants. We all have different levels of talent."

It's a concept that many students (and their parents) have a hard time grasping. Working hard, especially the night before a test or a paper due date, does not necessarily produce good grades.

"At the age of 50, if I work extremely hard, I can run a mile in eight minutes," says Watson. "I have students who can jog through a mile in seven minutes and barely sweat. They will always finish before me and that's not fair. Or is it?"

Last September, AU's Center for Teaching Excellence hosted a lunchtime forum to provide faculty members tips on how to reduce stressful grade confrontations. I eagerly attended.

The advice we were given was solid: Be clear upfront about how you grade and what is expected, and, when possible, use a numerical grading system rather than letter grades. If the grade is an 89, write that on the paper rather than a B-plus.

"The key," said AU academic counselor Jack Ramsay, "is to have a system of grading that is as transparent as possible."

Yet even the most transparent grading system won't eliminate our students' desperate pursuit of A's. Of the 20 teachers who came to the session, most could offer some tale of grade harassment.

"Most of the complaints that colleagues tell me about come from B students," said James Mooney, special assistant to the dean for academic affairs in the College of Arts and Sciences. "They all want to know why they didn't get an A. Is there something wrong with a B?"

Apparently there is. "Certainly there are students who are victims of grade inflation in secondary school," said Mooney. "They come to college, and the grading system is much more rigorous. That's one of the most difficult things to convey to the students. If you're getting a B, you're doing well in a course."

But his interpretation is rarely accepted by students or their parents. And the pressure on professors to keep the A's coming isn't unique to AU. It's endemic to college life, according to Stuart Rojstaczer, a Duke University professor who runs a Web site called Gradeinflation.com. At Duke and many other colleges, A's outnumber B's, and C's have all but disappeared from student transcripts, his research shows.

Last spring, professors at Princeton University declared war on grade inflation, voting to slash the number of A's they award to 25 percent of all grades. At Harvard, where half of the grades awarded are A's, the university announced that it would cut the number of seniors graduating with honors from 91 percent to about 50 percent.

Despite those moves, Rojstaczer doesn't think it will be easy to reverse the rising tide of A's. He points out that in 1969, a quarter of the grades handed out at Duke were C's. By 2002, the number of C's had dropped to less than 10 percent.

Rojstaczer, who teaches environmental science, acknowledged in an op-ed piece he wrote for The Post two years ago that he rarely hands out C's, "and neither do most of my colleagues. And I can easily imagine a time when I'll say the same thing about B's."

Arthur Levine, president of Columbia University Teacher's College and an authority on grading, traces what's going on to the Vietnam War. "Men who got low grades could be drafted," Levine says. "The next piece was the spread of graduate schools where only A's and B's were passing grades. That soon got passed on to undergraduates and set the standard."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/02/AR2005060201593_pf.html[/url]

As a student who goes to a school that does not have grade inflation relative to other schools such as the ivy leagues, I'm extremely proud of the grades that I get, and I know that the A's I get are worth many times more than what is given out at ivy leagues.

You might want to start out by spelling "Princeton" correctly =)

Also, what people forget with these studies is at the competition at a Harvard or Princeton or Duke is among much more qualified students than at your average school. That does not mean the elite state school students cannot beat the average or even above average Ivy Leaguer, but what it does mean is that the average state schooler is in general not as competitive as an average Ivy Leaguer.

So while it may not seem fair that only 15% of your class gets A's while 40% might at an Ivy, it is just as likely that the Ivy student could dominate at a public school against lesser competition and get the A anyway.

It is therefore an adjustment factor for the competitive difference in student bodies at different schools.

But then again, some schools have taken this to the extreme...

Anyways, I thought it was an interesting article. I don't see why the OP is taking so much crap for this.

Well Said! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I personally DID NOT notice any grade inflation at Penn and I think its unfair to make such generalizations against all ivies. I worked really really hard for my Bs (and even Cs)!

Fantasy Sports said:
You might want to start out by spelling "Princeton" correctly =)

Also, what people forget with these studies is at the competition at a Harvard or Princeton or Duke is among much more qualified students than at your average school. That does not mean the elite state school students cannot beat the average or even above average Ivy Leaguer, but what it does mean is that the average state schooler is in general not as competitive as an average Ivy Leaguer.

So while it may not seem fair that only 15% of your class gets A's while 40% might at an Ivy, it is just as likely that the Ivy student could dominate at a public school against lesser competition and get the A anyway.

It is therefore an adjustment factor for the competitive difference in student bodies at different schools.

But then again, some schools have taken this to the extreme...

beponychick said:
Well Said! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I personally DID NOT notice any grade inflation at Penn and I think its unfair to make such generalizations against all ivies. I worked really really hard for my Bs (and even Cs)!

I also went to Penn and I totally agree. The bulk of the entry science classes are curved meaning you compete against other Ivy League students for As and even Bs. I was a very average student at Penn and returned to my state school to finish my pre-med requirements and sailed through them with straight As. There was a huge disparity between the two schools...Penn was WAY harder!

#41 said:

A's for Everyone!

By Alicia C. Shepard
Washington Post

#41,

Do you understand what capitalism is?

The people who send their children to this school want their children to be successful. They are not paying $30000US a year for their children to get B's
If you want an easy A, then shell out $30000/yr to go to Harvard. If you can't afford it, too bad. Welcome to capitalism.