Is there homework in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize the answer to this question may be painfully obvious, but nevertheless, I don't know it. And by "homework," I don't mean studying for tests. Does it vary from school to school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I realize the answer to this question may be painfully obvious, but nevertheless, I don't know it. And by "homework," I don't mean studying for tests. Does it vary from school to school? Thanks.

Yes. It can range from studying for quizzes/exams to writing papers to making presentations to finishing projects.

Yes. It can range from studying for quizzes/exams to writing papers to making presentations to finishing projects.

I never heard of this before.... I know about exams/quizzes (duh lol).... but I don't know if 100 students each will have enough semester time to go up there and do a 5-10 minute presentation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never heard of this before.... I know about exams/quizzes (duh lol).... but I don't know if 100 students each will have enough semester time to go up there and do a 5-10 minute presentation.

At Houston, I have done a few small papers and a couple presentations in the first three years. Plus, here, if people are wanting to specialize, most people do some type of table topic display that is in an area of their interest -discussing research they have done.

I am sure there are differences between the schools and what is required, but I am sure most schools have at least a few things that students do while they are there.

At Midwestern we have group presentations every 2-3 weeks (5 a quarter). It's PBL-ish, where we are given a topic and asked to read up and present on various aspects of it and how it relates to dentistry. For example, tomorrow I'll be giving a presentation on rheumatoid arthritis, and its' dental implications. Then we'll have a quiz on the material we present on.

All the other work is either related to the sim clinic, or studying for exams and quizes. There are no take-home assignments, pretty much all of our grades are based off 1) projects during sim clinic 2) case presentations 3) exams and quizzes.

I don't know how it is at other schools, but that's how it's been for me.

I don't know if you'd consider this homework, but it will take up some of your time. Dental students spend quite a bit of time in the lab working on their skills and learning to work faster. They are tested on accuracy with a specific amount of time to complete the assignment on test day. I'm not a dental student yet, just what I was told when I toured a dental school.