Is there hope for me...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evescadeceus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got waitlisted at OUCOM (they're so good about getting back to you right after the interview, but it makes for a very tense weekend if you interviewed on Friday). I was told that I was in decent shape on the waitlist (although it wont actually be ranked for another six months). Brief stats: 3.5 GPA, 28S Mcat, nontrad applicant.

Was anyone else in a similar position last November? Did you get accepted off the waitlist sometime in April or May? I'm pretty disappointed right now, because I thought I would be right in the range of accepted applicants, and didn't think I would have to wait until next summer to have my fate decided. I only applied to in-state schools because thats all I can afford.

Other than submitting grades for ochem lab and stats, which I will take at night between now and April, I'm not sure what else I can do to demonstrate further interest. I already have volunteer experience, and may not be able to squeeze in further volunteering in the next six months. Any other ideas that I should be aware of? Could really use the feedback right now.

Members don't see this ad.

good job so far. i would stay in contact with the school, make sure they know who you are, put a face to your name. if you can, find an alumnus, or if you are close to the school a faculty member, ask if you can shadow, and have them send in another LOR on your behalf or make a phone call over to the school for you.

I would definitely apply to other schools! There are other schools out there that would take you right now. You said you can only afford state schools. Can you really afford to take another year off and apply next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not up on your personal situation (spouse, kids, pets, etc), so it is hard to say do this and do that. I'd suggest not putting all your eggs in one basket and apply off to other schools if that fits your situation (as Heeed! said). Your stats are good enough to warrant acceptances elsewhere.

BTW, I did the same thing the first time I applied to med school. Applied to only one school and was strangely :confused: overlooked for acceptance. Came back the next time in full force (similiar stats to yours) - and was fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances (including the one that 'overlooked' me the first time).

BTW, I think that being NONTRAD is a (+) for med school. All these young whipper-snappers floating around... :laugh: (I'm 32yo).

Good luck - and keep on OSUCOM. Write-call-send new LOR (good sugg!)-stop by to say Hi as often as you can (q1-2 weeks).

-A

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I totally appreciate this. I'm going to start researching outta-state osteos and apply to a few, even though the cost is truely frightening for me. Does anyone know how accessible TCOM is for outta-staters in terms of admissions? They're the only school whose outta-state tuition approximates Ohio's in-state tuition.

I'm also gonna ask my DO to write me another letter, write my own letter to point out my strengths, sign up for that easy pathophysio class to boost my GPA a little, etc.

OU's feedback (I love feedback) indicated they were concerned about my 7 on Phys Sci. The 11 on Verbal and 10 on bio didn't seem to compensate. I almost sensed that an 8 on phys sci would have been golden, but the 7 booted me on to the waitlist. They also said the orgo chem portion of my bio was weak (which is true, the only way I got a 10 overall was making practically no mistakes in bio). Did anyone else get feedback like this during their app process? (I realize I should probably post this in pre-osteo to get a sense of what's happening now - hopefully some waitlisted pre-osteos are reading this).

Originally posted by evescadeceus
OU's feedback (I love feedback) indicated they were concerned about my 7 on Phys Sci. The 11 on Verbal and 10 on bio didn't seem to compensate. I almost sensed that an 8 on phys sci would have been golden, but the 7 booted me on to the waitlist. They also said the orgo chem portion of my bio was weak (which is true, the only way I got a 10 overall was making practically no mistakes in bio). Did anyone else get feedback like this during their app process? (I realize I should probably post this in pre-osteo to get a sense of what's happening now - hopefully some waitlisted pre-osteos are reading this).
That seems a bit ridiculous to me. Your stats are above average for DO schools. I can't believe they even ragged on your 10 in bio. That's dumb. I think that if you had an awesome interview, they would have accepted you. Maybe, it was your interview skills? People with 21s get into DO schools and you with a 28 get waitlisted?

I have a 3.7gpa, 29 MCAT, and I was waitlisted at AZCOM. Obviously, it was not my stats. My interview went ok but I was nervous and had lots of tough ethical questions. That had to be the only weakness in my application there because I was accepted to 2 other DO schools. So perhaps it was how you interviewed.

There's definitely some merit to this assesment, but I didn't want to be the one to bring it up because I don't want to sound like a paranoid whiner. I honestly don't think its my interview skills - I've been a 12th grade teacher and am used to dealing with large groups, skeptical parents, etc...

I do feel I encountered some subtle discomfort with at least one of my interviewers - it wasn't inability to answer difficult questions, or sth specific you could immediately identify. I tend to err on the side of candour - I described what I like about OMM, and also where I think it needs improvement. I had another interviewer tell me that I achieved a nice balance between a conversation with equal interaction from both parties and an interview in which I assumed the lead. I think this was both an honest reaction and a hint.

The thing is, this is the sort of doctor I am going to be. I'm most likely headed for interviews at more expensive out-of-states now, and I will focus on some schools outside the midwest. I wonder if the response is going to be different.

Of course, when it comes to feedback, a school is going to go on record with the sort of feedback I got from OUCOM. But I started this thread by taking this feedback seriously and at face evidence, which I believe you have to do in this situation.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

Don't give up the state school, believe me private school tuition sucks. Stay on them(in a nice way), and try to find someone who is known at the school to support your application, believe me it is very helpful.

Originally posted by evescadeceus
I do feel I encountered some subtle discomfort with at least one of my interviewers - it wasn't inability to answer difficult questions, or sth specific you could immediately identify. I tend to err on the side of candour - I described what I like about OMM, and also where I think it needs improvement.
I bet it was this interviewer that had a say in getting you waitlisted. There's your answer. I don't think you should have described where OMM needs improvement. By doing say, you may have seemed like you thought you were the expert on the field, more so then they were. That interviewer may have taken offense to it, especially if he or she might have really liked OMM.

I think for your next interviews, you should only have good things to say about OMM and the DO philosophy. Just tell them what they want to hear, and keep your opinions to yourself. It is your future we are talking about. Why risk that just because you wanted to mention improvements that DOs can do?

Since cost seems like such a big issue, you may wish (or may already have) to consider applying to Wright State, Med College of Ohio, OSU, and UC. All are state schools, but they are MD programs. If this fact is not an issue, your stats are ostensibly good enough to get into one of these.

If this is out of the question for you, just make sure you keep in touch with the school, and let them know that you really want to attend. Do things like keep up on volunteer activities, and keep doing well in school. When I was waiting to hear back from my schools, I did the above and sent the school a short note every 5-6 weeks or so. You need to be careful to not be too pesky, but realize, if it is you and another guy on the waitlist they are choosing from, who are they gonna pick...the guy who is keeping active and keeping in touch with the school or the guy who sits on their hands wishing for the best.

With that, I wish you the best and good luck. If it doesn't work out this time around, keep trying, somebody will notice your merits.