Is there life after the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, it is the nail biting terror and night sweats you encounter while waiting on the results....

Members don't see this ad.

There's life after the MCAT, and then there are more standardized tests: USMLE 1, USMLE 2, USMLE 3, subspecialty inservice exams every year, specialty boards, and then recertification. This career path you have picked will require many more nights of nail biting terror; however, you'll be beaten into submission and not realize your pain. ;)

Thanks Doanie...I feel like I am herding butterflies in my stomach right now. Because so much is riding on this particular test.....all of the other hurdles I have to cross once I get in (thinking positive) seem miniscule....Of course, one day I will remember these thoughts and laugh. Ha

After the mcat theres the party. I think we should have a post party on sdn after its over :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
There's life after the MCAT, and then there are more standardized tests: USMLE 1, USMLE 2, USMLE 3, subspecialty inservice exams every year, specialty boards, and then recertification. This career path you have picked will require many more nights of nail biting terror; however, you'll be beaten into submission and not realize your pain. ;)

Nice, scare 'em off early! I like it! :)

Nah, seriously, party hard after taking the MCAT. You deserve a break. Then again, most of you are in school. So maybe not.

Step 1 was an ordeal, though. :eek:

Yes, there is life after the MCAT. You get the pleasure of waiting a ridiculous amount of time for your results. Then, you get to apply and interview. And if you're lucky enough to get in, you've got to live through an academic hurricane filled with more tests and worse......the match (this scares the poo out of me). I don't want to give the impression that I don't want to go. I know it's sick, but I'm actually looking forward to the demand and mental punishment--even though I know I won't like it while I'm there. Not very many people are afforded an opportunity as great as med school, I am very lucky indeed.

Good luck to all of those who will be taking the MCAT soon. I hope you show that test who it's daddy/momma is.

Yeah carry on with ya life, and a full fledged veteran of multiple MCAT test taking, u learn to 4get about it. Work on your application, and get on with your life. Come June, check your results, and voila...simple :p

LOL, ok maybe not like that, come on SDN Sat and Sun and be amazed at the amount of questions/answers that people remember and all the different forms!!

When you're a med student, life starts after 30. The MCAT is probably one of the easier things we're likely to experience. Gots to keep it all in perspective...

dfleis said:
...don't forget that there's people...our age right now getting killed in Iraq...
Exactly. Specifically, there are *Americans* our age getting killed in Iraq. But also, there are people our age in the U.S. and all over the world that are starving, dying because they have no/poor health care, getting tortured by repressive governments, etc., etc.

We are all extremely lucky and blessed to be in a position to 1) make a difference in the world as future physicians, and 2) live our own lives in a comfortable, productive manner.

Sorry for preaching. dfleis' post just struck me as absolutely true.