Is there moonlighting oportunities in PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gj smoove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know PM&R is a great field both in quality of work, lifestyle, and compensation but as a resident, how is the moonlighting oportunities? If anyone knows please break it down in detail. When I say detail I mean
1.)how hard is it to get hired to moonlight?
2.)how many hours a week would you be able to do it with
the typical program?
3.)How much is the hourly rates?
4.)Could you make $80,000.00 as a resident when you include moonlighting pay + resident pay before taxes?

Before some judgemental person comes along and tries to label me as only being concerned about the money, save it! I am not asking what are good reasons to go into PM&R so just stick to the questions I have posted please. All upfront answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the answer?

I can only answer questions regarding the opportunities in MA.

1. Not difficult
2. At SRH, previous residents would cover one of the Rehab hospitals on the Cape from Friday night to Monday morning.
3. I think the rate was $50/hr so you can make a lot of money during one weekend.
4. If you did one weekend per month, you could easily make $80,000 per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks man
Stinky Tofu said:

1. Not difficult
2. At SRH, previous residents would cover one of the Rehab hospitals on the Cape from Friday night to Monday morning.
3. I think the rate was $50/hr so you can make a lot of money during one weekend.

the concept of a PM&R doc "moonlighting" is funny to me, since a regular physiatrist in private practice doesn't work beyond 5 pm. they have a great lifestyle, that they don't need to moonlight. but i guess if u want to make some extra cash...

Stinky Tofu said:

1. Not difficult

I imagine that after PGY2 you can moonlight, is this correct?
What about athletic events?

some residencies offer moonlighting opportunities - from what I remember, one program had a deal where you got $100 for rounding on patients on a weekend day, $50 per admission. Another where you got paid per game to cover high school/college athletic events. Programs in cities with freestanding rehabs also had opportunities to moonlight covering nights at those rehabs - I think the range was $40 - 70/ hour. Mostly uneventful, just sitting around studying, sleeping, etc.

sorry don't have much specifics - but there are opportunities