Is there possible transition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMS78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be an EMT-A as of june 2007 in Calgary,Alberta Canada. I am going to be moving to Ontario probably of August 2007 which is a rough estimate but I'll be taking my paramedic in Ontario none the less. Once I have completed paramedic at the acp/als and ccp levels of training, my question is that is there any way you can go from a ccp into being an emergency doctor? what is the transition and or how much more schooling is left? I was thinking strongly of doing emergency doctor,but I like the thought of always being on my toes responding to different calls etc. Can someone tell me more about the profession itself and if you can transfer.

Thanks for your time everyone

REG EMR/EMD
EMT STUDENT

Michael

Members don't see this ad.

To be any kind of doctor, emergency or other, you have to go to medical school. There isn't a way to transition into any level of medical education from EMS training. It's a totally seperate field.

docB said:
To be any kind of doctor, emergency or other, you have to go to medical school. There isn't a way to transition into any level of medical education from EMS training. It's a totally seperate field.

Thank you for you response. Most programs at any faculty of medicine require you to do 2 years of university. I'm hoping I can just go ahead and apply right to med school after. CCP's generally goto school for 4-6 years depending on province and programs offered. I honestly would like to have a nice backbone in being a first responder in ems before thinking about emergency medicine on a whole new level. I am getting information to see what kinds of options I have. Emergency medicine has always had my interest.

Thanks for your responses,

REG EMR/EMD
EMT STUDENT

Michael

Members don't see this ad :)
So long as your 4-6 years of college are somewhat degree-relevant, and not a certificate program. You'll need to cover the prereqs for medical school -- some of which may not be covered in your paramedic program:

1 year of bio,
1 year of general chemistry
1 year of organic chemistry
1 year of physics
1 year of English

Furthermore, once you apply and begin medical school, you'll have quite some time before beginning an EM residency (4...ish years) -- at which point you'll face another 3-4 years before being eligible to become a board certified emergency physician. This may vary with the difference in countries and all.

So, to recap, if you're just beginning your undergraduate studies, you'll be an emergency physician in 10-12 years. Unfortunately, EMS and EM are two completely different ballparks...Sorta.

Pose said:
So long as your 4-6 years of college are somewhat degree-relevant, and not a certificate program. You'll need to cover the prereqs for medical school -- some of which may not be covered in your paramedic program:

1 year of bio,
1 year of general chemistry
1 year of organic chemistry
1 year of physics
1 year of English

Furthermore, once you apply and begin medical school, you'll have quite some time before beginning an EM residency (4...ish years) -- at which point you'll face another 3-4 years before being eligible to become a board certified emergency physician. This may vary with the difference in countries and all.

So, to recap, if you're just beginning your undergraduate studies, you'll be an emergency physician in 10-12 years. Unfortunately, EMS and EM are two completely different ballparks...Sorta.

Thanks for the valuble information :)

EMS78 said:
Thank you for you response. Most programs at any faculty of medicine require you to do 2 years of university. I'm hoping I can just go ahead and apply right to med school after. CCP's generally goto school for 4-6 years depending on province and programs offered.
Michael
Hi Michael,

The only Canadian school that allows possible entrance after 2 years is Saskatchewan; most other schools require 3 years, but let very few people in without a 4 year bachelor's. Unfortunately, the paramedic training is not credit-based and AFAIK there is no recognition for it as university education. To enter medical school, you would have to complete a 4 year bachelor's degree with the aforementioned pre-requisite courses of physics, biology, organic chemistry, etc.

I would recommend completing a 4 year degree and then financing medical school by taking shifts as a paramedic. That is my plan, anyhow.

leviathan said:
Unfortunately, the paramedic training is not credit-based and AFAIK there is no recognition for it as university education.

This is location/school dependent. There are associate degrees, bachelor's degrees and masters degrees in EMS. I actually have one of the MS degrees.

leviathan said:
To enter medical school, you would have to complete a 4 year bachelor's degree with the aforementioned pre-requisite courses of physics, biology, organic chemistry, etc.

THAT'S the catch. The EMS degrees, where they are degree instead of certificate based, are not designed as pre-med. They don't require the same pre-req science courses. Where they do require science, they aren't the hard core level science course we have to take. They're usually the non-science major level courses that the nursing students have to take. I don't know of any medical schools that accept these.

leviathan said:
I would recommend completing a 4 year degree and then financing medical school by taking shifts as a paramedic. That is my plan, anyhow.

If medical school is his/your goal, I agree completely.

Take care,
Jeff

Thanks to all for your time. Appeciate it.