Is there really a residency shortage for U.S. MD/DO's ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADD!!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many of the unfilled residency positions are in undesirable areas and specialties. So while there isn't a shortage of positions per se, there is a very real chance you'll get stuck doing family practice in Oklahoma or something - the chance of that happening increases as more schools open up without a corresponding increase in residency spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that the # of med school matriculants and graduates is going up at a faster rate than the number of residency spots. Thus, if the trend continues, someday in the future there will be more med school graduates than residency spots.

When this will happen (and, perhaps more importantly, whether the powers that be will ALLOW it to happen when it becomes critical) are open questions.

Many of the unfilled residency positions are in undesirable areas and specialties. So while there isn't a shortage of positions per se, there is a very real chance you'll get stuck doing family practice in Oklahoma or something - the chance of that happening increases as more schools open up without a corresponding increase in residency spots.
Oklahoma is not so bad.

Not yet. Maybe in like 20 years if the DO schools continue to proliferate at their current rate.

Reactions: 1 user
Nor is FM.

What's bad is the entitlement everyone should get dermacation at Hogwarts. Ya know?

It's not entitlement to have goals. And people with amazing apps that would open any other door aren't getting accepted to any program but somehow there are 10 open spots?

Get Oklahoma's name out your mouth

Oklahoma is not so bad.

Nor is FM.

What's bad is the entitlement everyone should get dermacation at Hogwarts. Ya know?

Maybe, but if your goal was to work at an academic center in a more competitive specialty, it'll be a disappointing outcome. It's not a matter of entitlement - I'm not saying one shouldn't have to work to get one of the more desireable residencies. But I'd hate for med school to become like law school where your options become very limited if you don't come from one of the top 10 schools. Probably won't be the case when I'm done with school, but if schools keep opening, it might eventually become an issue.

Right now it's the IMG's feeling the squeeze, I don't think it has really begun affecting to US grads yet. But soon, I could see US DO grads feeling a similar squeeze, since DO schools seem to be breeding like rabbits. I think the days when you will see US allopathic schools seeing many effects from this are very far off, and I'm sure the powers at be would do something to stop it by then.

Med school isn't like law school, since the path beyond med school is clearly defined and you are legally obligated to do a residency. It'd be a really bad look for ACGME/LCME/whoever if there were out of work doctors on the streets lol.

It's not entitlement to have goals. And people with amazing apps that would open any other door aren't getting accepted to any program but somehow there are 10 open spots?

Well, they probably proved to be ****ing weirdos at their interviews.

Isn't the fuss about that in ~2020-2050, there won't be enough doctors across the US to fulfill the demand for healthcare needs, especially with an aging population? I remember seeing a chart somewhere for the supply vs demand.

Isn't the fuss about that in ~2020-2050, there won't be enough doctors across the US to fulfill the demand for healthcare needs, especially with an aging population? I remember seeing a chart somewhere for the supply vs demand.
What happens after all those old patients die when all the generations following have been having less and less children?

https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/keyissues/physician_workforce/

https://www.aamc.org/download/426260/data/physiciansupplyanddemandthrough2025keyfindings.pdf

I'm no expert in this as I haven't read most of this stuff except in passing. Just trying to propose an answer to OPs question about why there's so much fuss about the doctor shortage. The worry is supported by the AAMC.
Oh, yeah, I'm not trying to criticize you. Just trying to add more interesting questions to the mix.

Like, who pays the AAMC? Who else could benefit from expanded medical school positions and residency? Does the AAMC have a financial conflict of interest (I actually don't know the answer to this, do they?)? What happens when we have a surplus of doctors, but a smaller population and still there is a need for doctors in rural areas? When salaries get driven down by a surplus of doctors, how do we manage our loan debt?

What happens after all those old patients die when all the generations following have been having less and less children?

There are more people coming and coming so doctors most likely won't have shortage of patients.

The "aging baby-boomer" argument was first put forward in the 80's. It's not new.

I'm wondering when there will be a big push for more morticians because of the "dying baby-boomers" argument.