1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

is there really an exp. passage in verbal?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by sdnstud, Apr 13, 2004.

1. sdnstud

sdnstud 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

i keep hearing that out of the 9 passages we get on verbal....one is experimental and doesn't count. but every instructor i have at kaplan said this is not true...and that ALL 9 passages count. so what's the deal?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrTee

MrTee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know if it matters if it's true or not, because you're not going to be able to detect it one way or another. How did you instructors find out if this was false? I would be inclined to say there should be some experimental questions for sure, because how else would they determine if the questions they used were fair or not?

3. sdnstud

sdnstud 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

i read somewhere on sdn that most of the experimental passages are the ones with 10 questions.

heres the thing. i am a slow reader and i know i can only do about 7 passages out of 9. i also notice that the verbal questions are unevenly distributed on the aamc tests. there are always 2 passages with 10 questions, 3-4 passages with 6 questions...and several with only 4-5 questions.

my goal is to get a 9 on verbal...which translates roughly to 40 raw score. if i do careful readings (30mins) on the 2 passages with 10 questions...i can usually get around 14-15 correct. i can then read quickly but carefully the passages with 6-7 questions...assume i can do 3 of those...i can get another 14 or so right. then i plan to skim through the passages with 5 questions and hopefully pick up the points i need to get to 40 raw score.

if there are experimental passages on the real mcat...and they are usually teh ones with 10 questions...i need to change my strategy

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    the experimental passages could be the ones with only the 4-5 questions!

you can never tell

5. drbevo

drbevo Member
    7+ Year Member

6. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

I never heard of experimental passages...Im out of the loop

7. blz

blz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is atleast one experimental passage per section. Therefore, the verbal section should have atleast one passage that does NOT count towards your score. Basically, word is that the experimental sections are used on future tests. This enables the AAMC to come up with a predetermined curve.

8. gimpMD

gimpMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

a predetermined curve??? if its predetermined, whys it take two freakin months for them to process??????????

9. blz

blz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Easy - the writing sample.

The curve is predetermined, that's why the averages dont always work out to being 8 8 8.